Lager Kits, any ideas??

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Muntons Premium Gold Continental Pilsner gives good results if you ditch the supplied yeast and use s-23 fermented cool.

The Brupaks Beers of the world kits also give good results, but are more involved

Further to Alemans recommendation the Coopers kits are quite good when made up with a 50:50 mix of dried malt extract and glucose :thumb:
But please remember that no beer kit will produce a Carling/Stellar lager :evil:
Home brewed beer has flavour :lol:

I can really recommend the Coopers Australian lager. Had a tipple at the weekend 2 weeks after bottling and went down a treat at a bbq!

My second sample last night was just as good, and much better than a pint of carling/fosters.

SHould have a can of Coopers European on my doorstep when i get home tonight, I'll get that going asap!

The coopers kits are good. I did the mexican lager over the winter with a lager yeast and a hop teabag. Very good brew.

Aleman said:
Muntons Premium Gold Continental Pilsner gives good results if you ditch the supplied yeast and use s-23 fermented cool.

The Brupaks Beers of the world kits also give good results, but are more involved

Now if Aleman is recommending a "Kit Beer" I'll add this to my bookmarks as one to do!! :thumb: :thumb:

my best lager kit upto yet by far is the coopers pils kit, this baby is brillaint, nice and crisp, yet strong, and best of all, it dont have that homebrew taste, infact my commercial drinking friends couldnt tell that it was homebrew!!
The only thing with this kit is that it needs longer that usual in the bottle!, but well worth the wait!!! :cheers:

Aleman said:

Could i ask if this advise regarding the yeast would apply to all all Muntons Larger kits?

Only i was offered one the other day, from a friend who had it bought for him and then could not be bothered to brew it, but i cant remember exactly which Muntons larger kit it was.

All muntons kits use an ale yeast . . . fermenting this cool (16C ish ) will produce a lager like beer (although not as clean as using Nottingham at that temperature). . . . Using a genuine Lager yeast and fermenting cooler will result in a much better beer.

The Coopers Bavarian Pilsner comes with a genuine Lager yeast IIRC . . . although having tried this kit I was not too impressed TBH

goodly dudscrew said:
At this point could i ask, how you keep the temp down when you are fermenting in the summer?
Converted fridge, Freezer, or Python Chiller.

If you look here
Ferment06110822.jpg

You can see the top parts of two stainless coils that I pump chilled water round. I have a thermostat connected to the pump when the wort temperature exceeds my set point ice cold water is pumped around the coils until the temperature falls to my lowest set point.

You can do the same thing with a fridge or freezer , but its a little harder to show that in operation.

I have a custom built module using a PID controller If I was to do it again I would I use a Forttex TC-10 (HPaul also trades on eBay ;) ).

You could also use an ATC 800, but I prefer the increased flexibility of the TC10

i've decided to quit with lager making, very rare it tastes that good, am going to buy some Nastro azzuro peroni lager and stick that in a fridge i have, aleman, it seems a lot of faffing around just to have beer cold, to me, it seems a bit extreme, all for home brewed lager!!

i am now a 10 kit veteran so really know what im talking about :wha: lol. but i have been having very pleasing results from muntons pils kits. i have tried the Muntons Connoisseur Export Pilsner with a beer kit enhancer and with only light spray malt as well as the Muntons Gold Continental Pilsner. I actually prefer the cheaper connoisseur using a beer kit enhancer myself. I have however taken to ditching the kit yeast for an s-23 and getting much improved results. I have just purchased some saaz hops after reading a post recommending adding a hop tea from them and my next brew is going out into my garden storeat the back wher it is underground to try and keep the temp as low as poss without needing shiny things ;) Also bought a coopers kit again becuase of a recommendation on here. Am i right in bottling my lagers rather than plastic kegging them like my ales?, i think i read somewhere about keeping a higher carbonation form lagers ?. Also i was wondering as never fermemnting outside before, what procedure do you follow for priming ? do you bring it into the warm for a few days or just leave it out cold until its cleared ?

Keep experimenting crasher600 :thumb: and thanks for sharing the results :cheers:
You are right to bottle your lagers if you want the traditional high carbonation level in your lager as plastic pressure barrels are unable to cope with the pressure required and will vent off CO2 before the desired level is reached. As for priming usual advice applies, into the warm (20 to 22C) for a week and then into the cool :)

Latest posts

Back