Lager, NOT larger!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
S
"Honest mistake" is an idiom. A person could know the right word but use the wrong one, accidentally, and so it wouldn't be a constant occurrence.
It's like knowing how to keep score at bowling and making an error--an honest mistake that could happen to anyone.
So what is a dishonest mistake?

Erm... Old English isn't quite that easy... evidence for the prosecution entered by Mr Chaucer:

Whan that Aprille with his shoures soote,
The droghte of March hath perced to the roote,
And bathed every veyne in swich licóur
Of which vertú engendred is the flour;
Whan Zephirus eek with his swete breeth
Inspired hath in every holt and heeth
The tendre croppes, and the yonge sonne
Hath in the Ram his halfe cours y-ronne,
And smale foweles maken melodye,
That slepen al the nyght with open ye,
So priketh hem Natúre in hir corages,
Thanne longen folk to goon on pilgrimages,
And palmeres for to seken straunge strondes,
To ferne halwes, kowthe in sondry londes;
And specially, from every shires ende
Of Engelond, to Caunterbury they wende,
The hooly blisful martir for to seke,
That hem hath holpen whan that they were seeke.

Points if you know where this is from without Mr Google!
Well then,
Let me think......
Chaucer,
A mention of Canterbury as going to be a journey's destination....
Ping! 💡
Prologue to Geoffrey Chaucer's "The Canterbury Tales"?

Well then,
Let me think......
Chaucer,
A mention of Canterbury as going to be a journey's destination....
Ping! 💡
Prologue to Geoffrey Chaucer's "The Canterbury Tales"?
That was a good semi-educated guess then, but thanks @DocAnna.
I hope it shows we scientists are not complete doddypolls.
I was going to use 'ignoramuses/ignorami' but wasn't sure which was more correct. 🤔
Apparently they both are, so to avoid opening another bag of worms, I used the Middle English 'doddypoll' as it isn't Latin based.

Who are the English? All regions have their dialects what unites us is the language can still be understood, well apart from Glaswegian.
In the 1970’s I remember being corrected at school for using the word roofs when I should have been using rooves. Fast forward a few decades and now I’m the wierd bloke at work who uses extinct language because I grew up in Lancashire.

Well to put my two penn'orth in - I class myself as abnormally good at English and 'rooves' just isn't right to me, so roofs it is. However I thought the spellcheck police weren't allowed on here? 😂
Interesting point. i think it depends on what you're used to. It's the other way round for me.
So who spelled or spelt it right?

On holiday in Cuba in the early 2000's I was amused to find written at the bottom of the menu, 'Chef's suggestions not included'. I presume they meant 'tips'. 😄
No. If my experience of hotel food in Cuba in the nineties is anything to go by, they mean the chef does not suggest you actually eat any of it.

Back