Lager, NOT larger!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was going to mention it and thought, "No, they'll cut me some slack."

It was a joke David it wasn't personal.
We all know there are many differences in the way we spell words switching the spell checker from English (United kingdom) to English (US) throws up some surprising results.

Last edited:
It was a joke David
It was funny. I laughed. If I were actually upset, I'd PM you. It's all good. I thought my aluminium comeback highlighted it. I would use emojis but it's against my moral code.
I am now a little self-conscious though about where I put the period when the quotation mark ends the sentence. (kidding)

What is a "meme"?
Seriously, I haven't got a clue - I've heard of them, but never had a definitive answer.

I do try to remember there's a fine history of alternative spellings and sayings, and I can still quote parts of the poems my children had to learn for Scots poetry weeks. My favourite is still relevant for having my children in the house...
Twa Leggit Mice
Ma mither says that we hae mice
That open air-ticht tins
And eat her chocolate biscuits
And cakes and sic like things.

Nae doot it is an awfy shame
That mice should get the blame.
It’s really me that ripes the tins
When left alane at hame.

But jings I get fair hungert
And biscuits taste sae nice
But dinnae tell ma mither
For she thinks it’s the mice!

(Anna making the effort to redeem her cultural equanimity after the strop about American spelling)

What is a "meme"?
Seriously, I haven't got a clue - I've heard of them, but never had a definitive answer.

1633118074128.png

1633118119807.png

Self confessed spelling Nazi here. I can understand how people use their, there and they're incorrectly. At least they sound the same. How the hell so many people substitute "defiantly" for "definitely" is beyond me.

I do try to remember there's a fine history of alternative spellings and sayings, and I can still quote parts of the poems my children had to learn for Scots poetry weeks. My favourite is still relevant for having my children in the house...
Twa Leggit Mice
Ma mither says that we hae mice
That open air-ticht tins
And eat her chocolate biscuits
And cakes and sic like things.

Nae doot it is an awfy shame
That mice should get the blame.
It’s really me that ripes the tins
When left alane at hame.

But jings I get fair hungert
And biscuits taste sae nice
But dinnae tell ma mither
For she thinks it’s the mice!

(Anna making the effort to redeem her cultural equanimity after the strop about American spelling)
My daughter learned that one for “Burns Day” (I know, it’s. It a Burns poem) this year.

A former colleague of mine had the full collection: "Let's run it up the flagpole and see if anyone salutes it" "Let's chuck it on the floor and see if the cat licks it up" etc. I had to point out that our cat frequently chucks things on the floor and NEVER licks them up.

My gripe about American and it's spelling is that they refer to it as English. It's might have been once, but it's no more English today than Québécois is French !

My pet hate at the moment is the use of "Me Personally" that really does boil my p**s and unfortunate its seems to be the latest trend.

The other one has been around quite a while and its the use of the word like -

Similarly "I, myself"
but not heard so frequently of late.
Perhaps "Me, personally" has replaced it?

A 2nd point I have brushed on there - the use of 'Regularly' when what is meant is 'Frequently'.

Frequently means 'often' , i.e. a small time interval between events. No regularity is required.
Washing hands with time intervals of 30 mins. then 45 then 20 then 1 hour is quite frequent but in no way can be described as regularly.

Regularly means a similar time interval between events. It in no way does it mean 'often' .
Once every five years or even millenia is regularly, but definitely not frequent enough to be called safe enough for say, hand washing!

So Ministers exhorting people during the Covid pandemic to wash their hands "more regularly" would achieve nothing.
Whereas to achieve what they intended they should have recommended people to do was wash their hands "more frequently".

Latest posts

Back