Lager recipes

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wai-iti hops late in the boil and/or dry hop in a Lager base.

Edit: When I think about it, I also paired them with Wakatu hops in a low abv lime-less lager and lime, I brewed. Double the lime component with peach notes from the Wai-iti and floral from the Wakatu.

Last edited:
with 2 packs of m54 at 19c, I would expect it to be done in a week as well. Longer won't hurt it though.
200g of hops is a lot for a lager. Assuming most of those will be dry hopped/hopstand, you'll get a beer more akin to a hoppy ale than a lager.
I'm surprised at the high temperatures quoted for lager.

Compare this with mine, which are pitched at 5C and ferment main at 9C. It's about 9 days for primary to complete before they are transferred to lager vessels (conditioning, which is from 5->0C over about eight weeks).

I'm surprised at the high temperatures quoted for lager.

Compare this with mine, which are pitched at 5C and ferment main at 9C. It's about 9 days for primary to complete before they are transferred to lager vessels (conditioning, which is from 5->0C over about eight weeks).
I've googled the yeast in question, the temperature is right, however I'm not sure it's true to the style recipe.

It's possibly not "true to style", but who are you making it for? Critical beer judges, or your own/spouse's pallettes? Does it matter to you if it's not "true to style"?
Well you're right, some ppl enjoy lagers made even with kveik.🤣😂

I've really read up on that yeast, and I put it on my shopping list. We'll see.

If I make a lager, I'm interested in the journey, the long wait for the fermentation, the long wait to clear itself, and then 10 or so proud days whilst I drink it.

I am wholeheartedly recommend the following. "Southern Jessie" - a Luke Stevens recipe (brewing mate of mine).

Grist
94% Floor Malted Bohemian Pilsner Malt (Weyerman - the expensive stuff)
6% Carapils/Carafoam

Hops (roughly 100 grams in total at 6% AA)
60 minute addition 8 IBU - East Kent Goldings
20 minute addition 17 IBU - East Kent Goldings
0 Minute addition - roughly 1.8 - 2.0 g/l - East Kent Goldings

Yeast
Cross My Loof (CML) Helles - 22g for 23 Litre Batch

Mash
66C - 60 mins followed by 60 mins Boil.

Water Profile (soft)
Ca2+: 7
Mg2+: 2
Na+: 2
Cl-: 6
SO42-: 13
HCO3-: 9

Highly recommended you pressure ferment if you can.

16C @ 5 psi for 3 days
18C @ 5psi for 2 days
19C @ 5 psi 1 day

Vol. of CO2 - 2.5

You can let it raise to 21-22C for clean up, then cold crash for 2 days - Package.

This is highly recommended - it is a superb beer and the decent malt makes a huge difference.

Thanks,

Stewy

I've googled the yeast in question, the temperature is right, however I'm not sure it's true to the style recipe.
I'm not bothered about true to style as I'm not much of a lager drinker, but wanted to brew something for SWMBO that she can drink, but she doesn't like proper beer so I thought I would brew this. I've tried a couple and it's not bad.

I’m also going to recommend a simple recipe for a 20 litre batch and it’s always popular. I mash with 22 litres and sparge with 8 because my boiler isn’t big enough for 30 litres. I use soft water. The mash is 60mins at 65C, 20 mins at 71C, and 20 mins at 77C. Fermentation is for two-weeks at 20C.

4.5Kg Pilsner malt
60g Saaz 60 mins
40g Saaz 10 mins
1/2 protofloc tablet at 5 mins
2pks MJ M54 California lager yeast

This is utterly outstanding - thanks for the recipe, @Hazelwood Brewery. I brewed this a month or so ago and, after two weeks in the fermenter and two weeks in the keg it's dropped pretty much clear with no finings and, after force-carbing to 30psi, is already a very drinkable quaffing lager. Just need the hot sunny weather I ordered when I brewed it! :D

This is utterly outstanding - thanks for the recipe, @Hazelwood Brewery. I brewed this a month or so ago and, after two weeks in the fermenter and two weeks in the keg it's dropped pretty much clear with no finings and, after force-carbing to 30psi, is already a very drinkable quaffing lager. Just need the hot sunny weather I ordered when I brewed it! :D
I’m pleased you like it. I’d forgotten ever writing that post but this is the Czech lager I posted tonight. I’m brewing another batch in the next couple of weeks and the recipe has barely changed - just the addition of a little melanoidin malt.

I’m pleased you like it. I’d forgotten ever writing that post but this is the Czech lager I posted tonight. I’m brewing another batch in the next couple of weeks and the recipe has barely changed - just the addition of a little melanoidin malt.
It was just what I wanted - an easy drinking barbecue lager which everybody will enjoy, and it’s that with bells on 👍🏻

Oooooh, using Kent Goldings in Lager is very old school. That reminds me of the brews from Anton Dreher (which preceded the ones in Pilsen). He was very fond of Goldings.

Here is my Helles next to the Augustiner. Tastes rather similar but not a complete clone. I could tweak a few settings to get it there. It would be the end of my relationship with Ruth if I'd convert one of our rooms into floor maltings though 🤣

Fermentation and conditioning took 128 days.

Nicostiner vs Augustiner.jpg

Latest posts

Back