Lager with Maris Otter?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@Galena I think we've already reached a verdict about using MO in a lager - I haven't tried it but FWIW it's something I plan to brew in the next few months and from the searching I did I never saw any reason not to try it.

BTW, it's worth having a read of this recent blog post from Martyn Cornell celebrating 150 years of Fuggles. It turns out that the idea of using Fuggles in a lager may not be quite as outrageous as you might imagine.

@An Ankoù you mention Crisp Chevallier and Plumage Archer heritage malts. There was a really interesting Experimental Brewing podcast recently with the guys from Crisp mentioning these, and also their Haná heritage lager/Pilsner malt. I haven't tried any of them yet, but would like to experiment - I already have a plan to make a Haná Munich Helles 👍🍻

Last edited:
@Galena I think we've already reached a verdict about using MO in a lager - I haven't tried it but FWIW it's something I plan to brew in the next few months and from the searching I did I never saw any reason not to try it.
I definitely intend to try it and soon, though I have just made my last brew of the year so will in the new year I guess.

I was thinking of making a lager, in the Pilsner style but can't be bothered with ordering Pilsner malt right now, how do you think it would taste brewed with MO and using a Pilsner yeast and otherwise brewed with full Diacetyl rest and lagering? Just a bit stronger/biscuity in flavour?
Maybe this is quite normal but not having any real interest in Lager I have no idea

Thank you for the inspiration. I have a few kg of MO and a batch of saved nova lager yeast in the fridge; now I have my beer plan for tomorrow brewing.

Back