Lager

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stuart Wilson

Reaction score
I started my first attempt at a lager 10 days ago. This was my 6th whole grain brew....I've foundvthat my OG has been rising as I've refined my mashing / sparging method.

For the lager I used 6 kg of bohemian pilsner malt, and a total of 100g Saaz hops. Wort was beautifully clear and had a fantastic 'lager' colour. To my surprise the OG was 1.075 ..... so we could be talking 8.5% alcohol here so it could end up as a super lager!

Intend to let it ferment in the back kitchen until fermentation really slows. This room is at about 14 °C at this time of year. I'll then rack to a carboy, which I'll put in the garage which is completely unheated and so pretty cold. I then plan to forget about it until spring arrives.

Not very precise....but lager yeast, cool fermentation and cold storage step should produce something interesting!!

I started my first attempt at a lager 10 days ago. This was my 6th whole grain brew....I've foundvthat my OG has been rising as I've refined my mashing / sparging method.

For the lager I used 6 kg of bohemian pilsner malt, and a total of 100g Saaz hops. Wort was beautifully clear and had a fantastic 'lager' colour. To my surprise the OG was 1.075 ..... so we could be talking 8.5% alcohol here so it could end up as a super lager!

Intend to let it ferment in the back kitchen until fermentation really slows. This room is at about 14 °C at this time of year. I'll then rack to a carboy, which I'll put in the garage which is completely unheated and so pretty cold. I then plan to forget about it until spring arrives.

Not very precise....but lager yeast, cool fermentation and cold storage step should produce something interesting!!

What yeast did you use for this? You need a good attenuator to get 8% out of it, but it's not impossible. I've never done a lager with an OG that high but I'd imagine you need a lot of dry yeast or a big starter for that og?

I used the wyeast 2278 czech pilsner yeast. Never used before....liquid yeast....comes in a sachet. I recon 75% attenuation should give just under 8%......maybe not *quite* a super lager but pretty potent! Have to wait and see!!

Imperial pilsner. IMG_20180917_143928_hdr.jpg

This batch of lager is still going! I transferred it into 4 demijohns after a week in primary. They've been stood in the back kitchen for 6 weeks now.....beautifully clear with a steady stream of bubbles rising from the layer of yeast on the bottom! Just transferred them to the garage which is totally unheated. Hopefully will condition nicely in there. Took a small sample....SG down to 1.022 which corresponds to 7.3% alcohol and 69% attenuation. Definite signs of fermentation.....so a bit to go yet. No idea what attenuation this yeast gives. Looking forward to trying this .... no idea how long to go!

Finally drinking the lager....took about 4 weeks to carbonate and lose chill haze....but a success. One of the best brews I've done!!

Finally drinking the lager....took about 4 weeks to carbonate and lose chill haze....but a success. One of the best brews I've done!!
After lagering, did you find cardonating a struggle with so little residual yeast left? If not, how did you over come it.

Also what temp did you carb at?

Cheer, Nick

Sounds good. With a lager I usually slowly raise the temperature up to about 18-19c as fermentation slows, just to make sure it cleans up any diacetyl (butterscotch). Sounds like a nice, long and steady ferment worked well for you though, nice one!

After lagering, did you find cardonating a struggle with so little residual yeast left? If not, how did you over come it.

Also what temp did you carb at?

Cheer, Nick

I just carved at garage temp....spring coming so was obviously warming up. Tried a bottle after 2 weeks....fat as a pancake! Also went very cloudy in the fridge! Actually forgot about it.....probably best thing to do. Dug some out of the garage and into fridge....really clear at 4°C and nice fizz! Definitely do a couple of brews over next winter!!

Latest posts

Back