Lagering fridge

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paulzam

Reaction score
Lagering fridge ? For making a lager is it a must?
has anyone done it without?
And what is the cheapest option if you need to?

Thanks in advance for your help and veiws

Technically a lager is cold stored for conditioning, but you could make a pseudo lager or hybrid such as steam beer, kolsch or altbier.

You should be able to find a free fridge through gumtree, freecycle etc.

The simply get an ink bird controller and get sometimes about £25 and bobs your aunt.

What a superb question!

All the experts will come out and say what is and isn't an absolute must if you wish to make a genuine lager ...

... however, if you check out the Brewers Association Style Guidelines ....

https://www.brewersassociation.org/resources/brewers-association-beer-style-guidelines/

... you will not see ANY mention of HOW to brew ANYTHING.

These are the guidelines for a Vienna Style Lager:
  • Colour: Copper to reddish-brown
  • Clarity: Chill haze should not be present
  • Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Characterized by malty aroma and light malt sweetness, which should have a lightly toasted malt character.
  • Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Very low to low, derived from noble-type hops.
  • Perceived bitterness: Low to medium-low, clean and crisp.
  • Fermentation Characteristics: DMS, diacetyl, and fruity esters should not be perceived.
  • Body: Medium
  • Original Gravity 1.046-1.056
  • Apparent Extract/Final Gravity 1.012-1.018
  • Alcohol by Volume 4.8%-5.4%
  • Bitterness (IBU) 22-28
  • Colour EBC 20-36
Personally, I use this recipe:
  • 4.7kg Maris Otter
  • 0.15kg Caramalt
  • 0.15kg Crystal Malt
  • 50g Hallertau Pellets
  • Youngs Lager Yeast
  • Protafloc Tablet
  • Yeast Nutrient
On BrewersFriend the recipe and method ticked all the boxes for OG, FG, ABV, IBU and EBC so I took the time to do a variety of versions as follows:
  1. Fermented at 20*C for two weeks, Carbonated at 20*C for one week, Cold Crashed at 1*C for 5 days, Conditioned for 3 weeks before drinking.
  2. Fermented at 24*C for 8 days, Fermented at 10*C for 10 weeks, Carbonated at 22*C for 2 weeks, Conditioned for 3 weeks.
  3. Fermented at 20*C for 19 days, Carbonated and Conditioned at garage ambient for 12 weeks.
Personally, I didn't notice ANY significant difference between the brews and they ALL tasted superb. i.e. Nothing like the gnat's pee that they sell in Pubs and Supermarkets and call it "Lager".

I have a Vienna Lager in the Brew Fridge right now. This one I intend to Carbonate in a King Keg for 2 weeks, Cold Crash it for 1 week at 5*C to help it clear and then let it condition on the garage shelf for a couple of weeks before tasting it. By that time I hope to have another batch ready for Carbonation!

Enjoy!:gulp:

I know very little about lagering, but I do brew a blonde ale for summer get together's with friends. 2 weeks conditioning @ 17c and 4 weeks in fridge @ 3c. My friends say its great, just like Fosters. :(

............. My friends say its great, just like Fosters. :(

I think that's an oxymoron so I hope you're joking!:wave:"While known internationally as the quintessential Australian beer brand, Foster's is less popular in Australia, particularly when compared to Victoria Bitter and Carlton Draught."

which is probably why ...

"The UK division of the Foster's brand has focused on cultivating comedy-centric advertising and sponsorship arrangements ....":gulp:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Foster%27s_Lager

What a superb question!

All the experts will come out and say what is and isn't an absolute must if you wish to make a genuine lager ...

https://www.brewersassociation.org/resources/brewers-association-beer-style-guidelines/

These are the guidelines for a Vienna Style Lager:
  • Colour: Copper to reddish-brown
  • Clarity: Chill haze should not be present
  • Perceived Malt Aroma & Flavor: Characterized by malty aroma and light malt sweetness, which should have a lightly toasted malt character.
  • Perceived Hop Aroma & Flavor: Very low to low, derived from noble-type hops.
  • Perceived bitterness: Low to medium-low, clean and crisp.
  • Fermentation Characteristics: DMS, diacetyl, and fruity esters should not be perceived.
  • Body: Medium
  • Original Gravity 1.046-1.056
  • Apparent Extract/Final Gravity 1.012-1.018
  • Alcohol by Volume 4.8%-5.4%
  • Bitterness (IBU) 22-28
  • Colour EBC 20-36
Personally, I use this recipe:
  • 4.7kg Maris Otter
  • 0.15kg Caramalt
  • 0.15kg Crystal Malt
  • 50g Hallertau Pellets
  • Youngs Lager Yeast
  • Protafloc Tablet
  • Yeast Nutrient
On BrewersFriend the recipe and method ticked all the boxes for OG, FG, ABV, IBU and EBC so I took the time to do a variety of versions as follows:
  1. Fermented at 20*C for two weeks, Carbonated at 20*C for one week, Cold Crashed at 1*C for 5 days, Conditioned for 3 weeks before drinking.
  2. Fermented at 24*C for 8 days, Fermented at 10*C for 10 weeks, Carbonated at 22*C for 2 weeks, Conditioned for 3 weeks.
  3. Fermented at 20*C for 19 days, Carbonated and Conditioned at garage ambient for 12 weeks.
Personally, I didn't notice ANY significant difference between the brews and they ALL tasted superb. i.e. Nothing like the gnat's pee that they sell in Pubs and Supermarkets and call it "Lager".

I have a Vienna Lager in the Brew Fridge right now. This one I intend to Carbonate in a King Keg for 2 weeks, Cold Crash it for 1 week at 5*C to help it clear and then let it condition on the garage shelf for a couple of weeks before tasting it. By that time I hope to have another batch ready for Carbonation!

Enjoy!:gulp:

Excellent going to give this a go thank you

Kolsch yeast gives great results without all the fuss and extended fermenting/conditioning times of messing around with Lager yeast.

That's an odd answer to the OP, because what you've linked to is just a description of the finished product. Temperature control will help you to brew a beer which meets that description whether it's mentioned or not. You could describe many things without mentioning the production process.

I'e done pseudo lager brewed at 15 with two packets of ale yeast. It turned out very clear and crisp...in fact like lager!
I have the ingredients to make another 80 pints or so....when I can free the brew fridge up!

Kolsch yeast gives great results without all the fuss and extended fermenting/conditioning times of messing around with Lager yeast.
Where did you find out aabout these ? Would love to look this up thanks

As Spapro said, kolsch is a good option if you don't have temperature control. Crossmyloof have a dry kolsch yeast which is rather good, and it'll give you a beer which, although a little fruitier has similar characteristics to a lager. If you can keep it somewhere in your house which is fairly cool, <18°C, it'll be even cleaner.

That's an odd answer to the OP, because what you've linked to is just a description of the finished product. Temperature control will help you to brew a beer which meets that description whether it's mentioned or not. You could describe many things without mentioning the production process.

Really? The OP was ...

"Lagering fridge ? For making a lager is it a must?
has anyone done it without?
And what is the cheapest option if you need to?"

... to which I could have answered "No." "Yes." "Not applicable.":wave:However, as that seemed a bit boorish I chose to point out that the finished product is more important that the process; as confirmed by the Brewers Association Style Guidelines.

As I too am more interested in the finished product that the process by which it is achieved I don't regard my answer to the OP as odd. Sorry.:gulp:

Latest posts

Back