Lakeland breweries

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gingerbrews

Regular.
Reaction score
We've a week's holiday planned at beginning of November. This is assuming we're allowed to travel.
Looking for suggestions of breweries to visit or local beers to try.

Just got back from a few days in the Lakes. Visited Hawkshead Brewery (no tours unfortunately) a good selection of beers in the brewery shop (better prices than in local shops as well). The Porter was very nice. They also have beers on tap as well.

Which part of the Lakes? I know the North better but I'd second Hawkshead Brewery - I like their Red Ale. In that area, the Drunken Duck at Hawkshead does great food and brew their own ales. Tag Lag and Chesters are both worth a pint, and you can find their ales elsewhere around the region.

North now, Keswick Brewery Co is in the centre of town and has a tap room. Hesket Newmarket is a village on the northern side of Blencathra and the Old Crown is the site of the community-owned Hesket Newmarket Brewery. Others worth looking out for are Independent Lakeland Breweries , Ennerdale Brewery, and Loweswater Brewery / Cumbrian Legendary Ales who do Loweswater Gold. In all these cases, their beers are sold around the area.

We're going to be based in Bouth, but travelling about

Why not visit Ulverston (13 minutes from Bouth) we have the breweries below who's beers are served in many of the small pubs in the town (Thursday is outdoor market day) i am not sure they are open for visitors since the start of Covid but the UBC building itself is worth a look (very close to town centre)

Ulverston Brewing Company - Ulverston Brewing Company | Brewery Ulvertston

Stringers - Homepage | Stringers

map.jpg

Last edited:
I’d be going to the Black Bill in Coniston, they have their own brewery out the back.
Their beers are a bit more traditional, but very nice.

Which part of the Lakes? I know the North better but I'd second Hawkshead Brewery - I like their Red Ale. In that area, the Drunken Duck at Hawkshead does great food and brew their own ales. Tag Lag and Chesters are both worth a pint, and you can find their ales elsewhere around the region.

North now, Keswick Brewery Co is in the centre of town and has a tap room. Hesket Newmarket is a village on the northern side of Blencathra and the Old Crown is the site of the community-owned Hesket Newmarket Brewery. Others worth looking out for are Independent Lakeland Breweries , Ennerdale Brewery, and Loweswater Brewery / Cumbrian Legendary Ales who do Loweswater Gold. In all these cases, their beers are sold around the area.

+1 for the Crown at Hesket - its my sisters local and Doris 90th birthday ale is a favourite of mine. @Dulwich North more locally to your user name you ever go in the Hat and Dog these days - that was my local for a good few years

more locally to your user name you ever go in the Hat and Dog these days - that was my local for a good few years

Yes, my local, and good local knowledge using that name. I didn't know Dulwich at all but met up with a friend for a pint in the Dog before a gig in Brixton (Lloyd Cole). One Sunday morning a few months later I'd decided buying in W London was too expensive and thought I'd explore the area around the pub, and 30 years later both of us are still here. It's been sensitively refurbished and it's OK, just has a smoothly-professional pub chain feeling about it. So Lloyd Cole and the pub have much to answer for!

Found this map - it seems q up-to-date

They seem to use this quite a lot, of the 4 i checked near me 2 do not exist.

Footnote
The information contained above was believed to be correct at the date indicated. However we accept no responsibility for any false, misleading or inaccurate information within this site. We are not (insert name of brewery here) and have no connection with them. This is not their official web site. If you believe any of the above information to be wrong, then let us at www.quaffale.org.uk know by contacting us.

Not far from Bouth is the tiny brewery in Cartmel, Unsworth's Yard I think it is, they do a few bottled ales, not bad although nothing special if I remember rightly.

The Ulversteiner pilsner is worth a try, a few of the local shops sell it if you can't get to the brewery itself. Also Beerwolf in Ulverston craft beer shop has an interesting selection.

Last edited:
They seem to use this quite a lot

Not sure what you mean by that, but I don't doubt your local knowledge. My spot checks indicated the data had been updated within the last couple of years and it answered my own curiosity about the Hardknott's recent disappeaance.

Not sure what you mean by that, but I don't doubt your local knowledge. My spot checks indicated the data had been updated within the last couple of years and it answered my own curiosity about the Hardknott's recent disappearance.

I wasn't having a pop i was just pointing out (to other members) that they have put this info on a lot of the markers -

The information contained above was believed to be correct at the date indicated. However we accept no responsibility for any false, misleading or inaccurate information within this site. We are not (insert name of brewery here) and have no connection with them. This is not their official web site. I

Last edited:
Yes, it must be quite an effort keeping track of the smaller back-of-pub breweries, particularly when you can't "inspect" them in person!

Back