Lalbrew London..again

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clint

Forum jester...🏅🏆
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all
I've got a Fivepoints bitter clone lined up and was planning on using the above mentioned yeast. Mash temp for recipe is 67c but I'm wondering, with that temp there'll be more unfermentable sugars and combined with the London attenuation, typical fg 1.020,what that will result in? Should I adjust the mash temp or change yeast or just go with it?

I've got a stash of fuggles in for a five points bitter too. Going to use London Ale III. Probably going to get this on sometime in the next 3 weeks.

Hello all
I've got a Fivepoints bitter clone lined up and was planning on using the above mentioned yeast. Mash temp for recipe is 67c but I'm wondering, with that temp there'll be more unfermentable sugars and combined with the London attenuation, typical fg 1.020,what that will result in? Should I adjust the mash temp or change yeast or just go with it?

I made a bitter today using this yeast for the first time. I mashed at 67c, brewers friend says it should go to 1.018. Time will tell!

Perhaps co pitch Wilko's gervin after a day to help bring the FG down? The London should have enough of a head start to produce nice esters while letting the Notty finish up the sugars London doesn't touch? In planning on trying this with s33.

Perhaps co pitch Wilko's gervin after a day to help bring the FG down? The London should have enough of a head start to produce nice esters while letting the Notty finish up the sugars London doesn't touch? In planning on trying this with s33.

I was thinking of doing this with mine. Not because I want a higher abv but just because I don’t want it too sweet. I have tried to reduce the sweetness by only using about 4% Crystal and adding a bit of Chocolate instead so I hope that helps.

How did your Five points go Benfleet Brewery? Did you pitch a Notty with the London?
If things go to plan my next days off this is on for brew day...I'm little reluctant to just use the London yeast.
Otherwise I've got loads of citra and galaxy in the freezer for something else!

How did your Five points go Benfleet Brewery? Did you pitch a Notty with the London?
If things go to plan my next days off this is on for brew day...I'm little reluctant to just use the London yeast.
Otherwise I've got loads of citra and galaxy in the freezer for something else!

I just left it a bit longer and Mine finished at 1.016. I haven’t tried it yet though.

Hey @Clint for reference I just kegged a 5 points clone this week. OG 1.043 FG 1.011. That used WY 1318 London Ale III

The attenuation is about as expected but it's going to take a while to clear, it's one soupy brew.

First fivepoints clone I did used Wyeast 1098 good result.
Next go used the recommended WLP013 and it made a world of difference to the outcome.

Regarding the water profile for Best, I have this from the head brewer: "Hi mate, if you
could pass to on aim for ~190 ppm calcium, 200 ppm chloride and 330 ppm sulphate."

Someone on HBT has posted an email from Lallemand which says that they isolated 4 strains from a culture sent to them by a chemist chain in England (no prizes for guessing!) 30 years ago and they now sell 3 of those strains commercially - Nottingham, Windsor and London. So might be worth trying a blend of the three?! Since they all once belonged together.

I brewed a Five Points clone yesterday and pitched Lallemand London. It’s bubbling away nicely, and before anyone asks it not under pressure I have a blow off tube attached.
F30942CD-C572-4210-8EBD-2A984B769468.jpeg

Latest posts

Back