Lallemand Dry Conan Strain

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I read the same, John Kimmich was given the yeast by a brewer who brought it over from England. Probably from the same article, that none of the commercial Conan strains ferment like the original, due to being cultured from the weaker cells remaining in cans of Heady Topper.

Might have to give it a whirl if it has the hoddy seal of approval

If you are going to I would suggest getting the “repacked” 22gram packs from GEB as they are quite a bit cheaper. What the 11g lallemand advert doesn’t tell you is that at £4 a pack the recommended cell pitch rate is 1g per 1L at approx 1.050. Which means if like me you do 24-25L batches two packs would be needed. Which is basically the same price as a liquid vial. It would be an interesting test to see how a single pack got on with a regular sized batch.

If you are going to I would suggest getting the “repacked” 22gram packs from GEB as they are quite a bit cheaper. What the 11g lallemand advert doesn’t tell you is that at £4 a pack the recommended cell pitch rate is 1g per 1L at approx 1.050. Which means if like me you do 24-25L batches two packs would be needed. Which is basically the same price as a liquid vial. It would be an interesting test to see how a single pack got on with a regular sized batch.

Thanks for the heads up. I normally do 10L batches so I'd be ok

Found the article I referenced. It provides an interesting and not entirely positive view of why NEIPAs are hazy.

https://www.goodbeerhunting.com/blog/2016/9/8/unrated-the-crown-that-sits-upon-heady-topper

People seem overly focused on it being yeast driven. It just isn't. Sure, you get the nice fruity esters from English ales, but a lot of them are highly flocculant. London Ale III is a great flocculator and is one of the most popular NEIPA yeasts out there. Even all malt grists can produce good NEIPAs so it's not the oats/wheat either. It's all about the sheer volume of cold side hops and water chemistry that does it. Same goes for the oxidation issues. You cram enough vegetal matter into solution and it's going to brown quickly on exposure to oxygen.

Although there is some truth in that, I think you are being somewhat idealistic. There's an overlap in dry hop rates between West and East coast that isn't matched in turbidity. So, I'm inclined to agree with Kimmich, in that the style is partly the result of poorly flocculated beers being replicated. It's certainly my experience and why the market is saturated with so many poor NEIPAs.

I'm certainly interested in trying this yeast in a West Coast IPA to see if it gives the promised tropical flavours.

Oh, I agree that commercially breweries are using poorly flocculating yeasts to get that milky appearance. Who wants to drink a pint of yeast though. You're right that there are so many poor examples. Whilst there can be some overlap between West-East IPAs, I have found that whenever I go anywhere past 5g/l dry hop that's when things get murky (in the good way). And that's using the likes of US-05, M44, BRY-97, you name it. Whether there is a saturation point that leads to this haze, who knows?

All I know is that too many people concern themselves with the yeast variety and end up with horrible yeasty NEIPAs.

It’s a solid regular in my brew house.

Have you had any problems reaching target gravity with this yeast? I pitched 25g (2.5 packs) into 25L, beer smith predicting 1.011 FG. Pitched at 18 deg c and air lock was bubbling after 24 hours, raised temp up by 1 degree every 12 hours or so to 22 but it seems to be finishing at 1.016 after 6 days. I've just given the fermenter a good swirl and bumped temp up to 23

Have you had any problems reaching target gravity with this yeast? I pitched 25g (2.5 packs) into 25L, beer smith predicting 1.011 FG. Pitched at 18 deg c and air lock was bubbling after 24 hours, raised temp up by 1 degree every 12 hours or so to 22 but it seems to be finishing at 1.016 after 6 days. I've just given the fermenter a good swirl and bumped temp up to 23
I haven’t ever had problems with it not reaching the FG based on the right OG and mash schedule.
What was your OG when you pitched? And did you got your mash temp? If you were a few points out there it will be at the bottom end.

But generally no it’s always been very reliable.

Left it another week and it's managed a few more points down to 1.013 so close enough. OG was bang on 1.045 and yeah I've do BIAB with recirculation and temp control so mash temp was on set point, might have to check my temp probe calibration. Cheers

Just tapped the keg and the beer is delicious. I brewed the same recipe using US05 but this is far better. It’s the Verdant lightbulb recipe posted in another thread so mainly hop flavours but seems much more rounded. I’m useless at picking out notes of ’insert exotic ingredient here’ to tell what is different but definite improvement.

Attachments

• 8A9B2985-6AD7-4F13-9882-2A7BB1E0BE66.jpeg
    8A9B2985-6AD7-4F13-9882-2A7BB1E0BE66.jpeg
    29.1 KB · Views: 193
Just tapped the keg and the beer is delicious. I brewed the same recipe using US05 but this is far better. It’s the Verdant lightbulb recipe posted in another thread so mainly hop flavours but seems much more rounded. I’m useless at picking out notes of ’insert exotic ingredient here’ to tell what is different but definite improvement.
In my opinion the defining characteristics of the Vermont strain are the soft, full and pillowy mouthfeel and a mellow background peachy flavour. It makes very moreish and drinkable ales. I love it and now use it (the liquid version) in every ale that I brew. Despite the name it actually has an English heritage.

Latest posts

Back