Lallemand Philly Sour yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dorst

Reaction score
Lallemand has recently released on of the few dried yeast wild yeasts to the market: Philly Sour.

from their website:
WildBrew™ Philly Sour is a unique species of Lachancea selected from nature by University of the Sciences in Philadelphia, PA, USA.
(Patent pending N° PCT/US20 18/043 148). WildBrew™

Philly Sour produces moderate amounts of lactic acid in addition to ethanol in one simple fermentation step. This first yeast in the WildBrew™ series is a great choice for innovative, sessionable sour beers with refreshing acidity and notes of stone fruit. With high attenuation, high flocculation and good head retention, WildBrew™ Philly Sour is an ideal yeast for traditional styles such as Berliner Weiss, Gose, American Lambic Style, American Wild Ales and its resistance to hops make it perfect for Sour IPA’s.

1594716066382.jpeg

I got alerted that it came in at a local (Dutch) homebrew store and ordered 2 satchels this morning. One brew will be a sour IPA, for the other I am doubting between a classic Berliner Weisse or a fruited sour. I will of course report back my findings.

Any experiences with this strain on this forum?

I haven’t used it yet but it’s pretty high on my to do list for a sour ipa. My understanding is yes, it’s a substitute for yeast and will give a clean lactic sourness

I bought some last week but am yet to use it. David Heath has recently uploaded a video on YouTube about it.

Should be fun to play with.

Hi Guys

Would using this yeast mean that you would have to replace your fermenter like you would with other non-kettled sours?

It looks like a really good yeast to try.

Today I'm finally getting to my first brew with this yeast. I decided to add Philly Sour to my NEIPA recipe to create a Sour NEIPA.

I'm looking at 6.8 percent ABV
  • 75% Pale Ale, 15% Flaked Oats, 10% Pale Wheat
  • 15g x 3 (Centennial, Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc) Boil 10 min
    50g x 3 (Centennial, Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc) 30 min hopstand @ 75 °C
    60g x 3 (Centennial, Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc) Dry hop
I love pun names for my beers so I dubbed it SNEIPA killed dumbledore. Also because NEIPAs are know to spoil easily...

Will update when I get some results in.

Won't the IBUs from that hop schedule inhibit the lacto production?

Lactobacillus are inhibited by IBU / hop. This is a yeast strain producing lactic acid - and not a lactobacillus. This removes the limitations of hop use.

Obviously the first thing I wanted to test this strain with was a hoppy beer ;-)

Is this just a lactic souring agent like Sour pitch of does it contain Sacc?

It's neither. It's a yeast strain called Lachancea. It ferments wort (with pretty high attenuation it seems) and that produces lactic acid during fermentation.

This is not a sour pitch product which is basically pure lactobacillus, or a blend containing lactobacillus and sacc/brett/pedio and such.

Back