Lallemand Philly Sour yeast

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Lactobacillus are inhibited by IBU / hop. This is a yeast strain producing lactic acid - and not a lactobacillus. This removes the limitations of hop use.

Obviously the first thing I wanted to test this strain with was a hoppy beer ;-)

It's really exciting stuff. I have a pack in the fridge I need to get using.

Today I'm finally getting to my first brew with this yeast. I decided to add Philly Sour to my NEIPA recipe to create a Sour NEIPA.

I'm looking at 6.8 percent ABV
  • 75% Pale Ale, 15% Flaked Oats, 10% Pale Wheat
  • 15g x 3 (Centennial, Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc) Boil 10 min
    50g x 3 (Centennial, Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc) 30 min hopstand @ 75 °C
    60g x 3 (Centennial, Mosaic, Hallertau Blanc) Dry hop
I love pun names for my beers so I dubbed it SNEIPA killed dumbledore. Also because NEIPAs are know to spoil easily...

Will update when I get some results in.

Nice looking recipe! I’ve got a pack of this and need to decide what to do with it, might just copy your recipe if it comes out well!

Are you all using 1 pack for a full 23l batch? Or 2?

I have a pack of this in the freezer but just ordered another when I looked at the pitch rate.

Are you all using 1 pack for a full 23l batch? Or 2?

I have a pack of this in the freezer but just ordered another when I looked at the pitch rate.

The suggested pitch rate is between 0,5 g - 1 gram per liter. The satchel contains 11 grams so it should be enough for 22 liters at the low end of things. So unless you plan to brew a high gravity beer I'd say you will be fine with one satchell - it's what I pitched.

This morning I found the beer with some airlock activity. After using Kveik for my last few brews it felt that it took ages and the activity is very minute haha ;-) I decided to ferment at 23C.

Brew update:
I left the yeast to ferment for 2 weeks and cool crashed to 4c for 2 days. Today I transferred to keg.

20200902_164850.jpg

I force transfer from fermenter to keg with a tinfoil lid (patent pending).

This is the beer:
20200902_165458.jpg

Earlier samples tasted a bit rough and had a bit of a milky smell. During transfer none of that luckily. The nose is mostly sour with some hops. The taste is sour fruit - Guave meets sour gooseberry. I think it's very good - a bit more sour than I expected but not unpleasantly so. I will see how it evolves when it is carbonated.

Sample time!

With carbonation the sourness settled a bit and the beer has found a nice balance.

The hops now take a more prominent role in the aroma. It's slight pine and resin, followed by sour fruit; Guave and white berries.

I like this beer a lot. More than I thought I would. It's not a drink all evening beer, but very good. I'm curious where else this yeast can shine.

IMG_20200907_175949_922.jpg

Sample time!

With carbonation the sourness settled a bit and the beer has found a nice balance.

The hops now take a more prominent role in the aroma. It's slight pine and resin, followed by sour fruit; Guave and white berries.

I like this beer a lot. More than I thought I would. It's not a drink all evening beer, but very good. I'm curious where else this yeast can shine.

View attachment 32211

Looks and sounds excellent.

I have a packet of this yeast and I want to use it on a Sour in the Rye. I will brew a 13 litres batch so can anyone tell/help me to decide how much I should pitch?

I have a packet of this yeast and I want to use it on a Sour in the Rye. I will brew a 13 litres batch so can anyone tell/help me to decide how much I should pitch?

The technical sheet for this yeast suggests a pitching rate of 50 - 100g/hL to achieve a minimum of 0.5 - 1 million viable cells/mL. That translates to somewhere between 6,5 and 13 grams.

I pitched one satchel for a batch of about 20 liter and it worked perfectly (that would require a minimum of 10 grams according to the spec sheet). Personally I would just pitch the whole satchel for the 13 liter brew. Based on my experience you can get away with pitching 7 grams.

Does anyone have experience of reusing this yeast?

My practice is to overbuild a starter and reserve part, which is then used to make a new starter for another batch. Has anyone done that successfully with this yeast?

Alternatively, can it be harvested post-fermentation?

Does anyone have experience of reusing this yeast?

Just generally, you may want to take a look at this HBT thread and the Sui Generis blogs I link to here :
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/thread...xperience-to-share.682096/page-7#post-9085562
Things to consider when repitching - they're small cells that grow to high density, so people tend to overpitch when repitching. But the souring is very dependent on pitch rate, so overpitching means that you get less acid.

On the flip side, they don't store well, they die at about 10x the rate of US-05.

So you can certainly get good results from repitching, but it's quite easy to get it wrong.

Latest posts

Back