Lalvin EC-1118 Problems - Alcoholic Lemonade

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Conners

Reaction score
I'm having a go at making an alcoholic lemonade using the recipe below:
https://brewtogether.com/2019/07/13/lemonade/I made mine using 1kg of sugar during the fermentation to reduce the alcohol level.

The problem is, I can't get it to ferment. I thought at first it was a problem with the acidity stopping the yeast. The PH level was 2.5.
Nothing happened at all with the fermentation after a week and I poured it away.

I decided to try again, instead opting to ferment a sugar wash and adding the lemon juice later to avoid the low PH. I used the same yeast as before and again, hydrated it as shown on the packet but at present, it doesn't seem to be doing much, after 3 days.

I am fermenting these under pressure (or trying to) in a corny keg. In both examples, the pressure has not increased at all. The temperate us set to 25 degrees C.
The first batch did nothing gravity-wise, this batch has dropped from 1.07 to 1.05 (my ispindle is not calibrated) in two days. No pressure has built in the keg.

What's going on? Is the yeast bad? I didn't oxygenate the wash, is that it? I didn't add any sort of yeast enhancer, is that it?

There is absolutely no nutrients for yeast in a sugar wash. I am not aware if it will go eventually, but I doubt it. I think you will need to add them yourself to get it moving.

There is absolutely no nutrients for yeast in a sugar wash. I am not aware if it will go eventually, but I doubt it. I think you will need to add them yourself to get it moving.
I see. So is it ok to just add the nutrients or will I need to pitch another pack of yeast?

I see. So is it ok to just add the nutrients or will I need to pitch another pack of yeast?

I dont know if it would start it off tbh. You can buy turbo yeasts that are specifically for doing sugar washes

You could maybe search the site too for hard seltzers which are new ish but I THINK they might just be flavoired sugar wash, and see how they are fermented

You could on the other hand try brew a blaand ;) Not lemo but alcoholic milk wine. that stuff has lemons in it. And just not let the fermentation completely finish ;d

Love a lemon wine!
You could try a step feed process? You could do it in thirds.
I would add the dry unhydrated yeast to 1/3 of each ingredient but maintain just under a gallon volume.
So 330g of sugar, 1/3 of the lemon juice and an appropriate amount of nutrient into just under a gallon (to allow for the rest of the lemon) This way the yeast can get going and not get stressed.
Add some more after 3-4 days once the activity gets going and add the rest at a week or so. You'll notice a lag phase (reduction of activity) on each subsequent addition but that's fine.
I've no idea about pressure settings as this isn't somethingI've tried but see no reason why it would be a problem.
I always step feed my citrus wines and meads and haven't had issues.
Don't give up, you'll find a way.
T

Love a lemon wine!
You could try a step feed process? You could do it in thirds.
I would add the dry unhydrated yeast to 1/3 of each ingredient but maintain just under a gallon volume.
So 330g of sugar, 1/3 of the lemon juice and an appropriate amount of nutrient into just under a gallon (to allow for the rest of the lemon) This way the yeast can get going and not get stressed.
Add some more after 3-4 days once the activity gets going and add the rest at a week or so. You'll notice a lag phase (reduction of activity) on each subsequent addition but that's fine.
I've no idea about pressure settings as this isn't somethingI've tried but see no reason why it would be a problem.
I always step feed my citrus wines and meads and haven't had issues.
Don't give up, you'll find a way.
T
Why would the yeast be stressed in its current setup?

I'm trying to be relatively optimistic that I can get it going again, rather than trying from scratch for the third time.

As you probably know the yeast need nitrogen amongst other raw materials to burn through the sugar easily. Nutrient provides this extra help.
Stressed yeast, to me, are yeast without a balanced diet that don’t function well.
Like eating Mac Donald’s all the time, nice, but you need some roughage!

Back