Lancashire new brewer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MrKev83

Reaction score
I've been wanting to brew for years. I've been bought a Woodfordes complete brewing system so I'll get it going when I get a spare hour or so

It says it's a 20 pint kit. It's sold in Wilko's. After that do I need to look for other 20 pint kits or are they all standard size?

Answered my own question...my sargeant used to say RTFQ...read the f.... Question....it says on the pack to fill to 20 pints...no measures on the tub so will measure it out

Any tips welcome but from reading these kits seem a good place to start

I love hobgoblin from Aldi but always fancied making my own

Welcome to the forum
This might be of help to get you up and running.
https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/...de-to-brewing-your-own-beer-from-a-kit.57526/
Malt extract kits are usually either a single can or sachet of hopped extract, 1.5. 1.7, 1.8 or 2.1 kg size where you are expected to add sugar, and/or dried or liquid malt extract or brew enhancer, or premium kits which cost more but everything is in the box, but both types are usually geared to making 23 litres although many brewers 'brew short' to a lesser volume. Your Wherry kit has less malt and therefore you will brew less beer.
My suggestion is to follow the kit instructions, read the above link to find out more, be patient with how things progress, and make sure everything is sanitised before it come into contact with your wort or beer.
Best of luck with it.

Hi,is your kit in a bag or a 2 can kit?I think they made be selling a new form of woodfordes in wilko?(20 pint as opposed to usual 40)

It's one can in the kit

Thanks for the advice. I'll start it at the weekend

Hi Bud, welcome to the forum. You could put your own volume markers on your Fermentation Vessel. I use a 5 ltr bottle of water, chuck it in your FV, and you have a 5ltr marker, then do this again until you have increments of 5ltr etc. Lots of FVs on the market have markers which I've found to be inaccurate, so I always do my own now. Good luck with the brew.

Hi there! It's a lot of fun brewing but do keep accurate notes as you'll likely want to adjust the next brew if using same kit again. I'm finding huge variations and I'm always looking up past notes to make further improvements. athumb..

Top advice about making my own markers

Thanks for everything .Good to see not all forums have died off

LOL don't be tempted to 'tinker' with it. Good to hear you got your brew on. won't be too long before you get to sup your brew:cheers3:

I managed to go 6 days without peaking....very brief look in and there's a nice frothy layer on top. I've been monitoring temperatures in the area where the FV is....range seems to be 17-18 degrees so I'm thinking my brew may take a little longer. Is it correct that I'm waiting for that top layer to clear before I move to bottling with sugar?

Hi, you need a hydrometer, this way you can test for the specific gravity of your beer to see what its settled at when you think fermentation is complete.Most folks check for 3 readings over 3 days when fermentation seems complete(no airlock activity is a sign)if you not got one they arn't much from Wilko or local brew shop.Think the Wherry finishes around 1012ish bit check the reviews on here for more info.

I've got one but as it was only one can kit it's not deep enough. The beer has been in the FV for 11 days as opposed to the kits 7. No signs of anything bad looking or smelling and cupboard temp was averaging around 17.5 which would give a slower ferment. I'll bottle it...see how I go

Turned out drinkable. Tastes better the logger I'm leaving her bottled. Will try a different kit soon .. 40 pints this time so need more bottles. Ebay it is

Turned out drinkable. Tastes better the logger I'm leaving her bottled. Will try a different kit soon .. 40 pints this time so need more bottles. Ebay it is
My experience and a few others on here from what I have read, is that the Wherry kit takes a few weeks to come good. In mid December I brewed one can of the 40 pint two can kit with some additions and it's only recently mellowed out.

Latest posts

Back