Landline.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chippy_Tea

Administrator.
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
Today's discussion on 5 live is people ditching their landlines.
As far as I know my ISP doesn't offer this and I recently moved to fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) so it will be 18 months until I could change if they bring a package out.
I believe some ISP's are offering landline free packages which I assume are fibre to the property (FTTP) are there any members saving money by not having a landline and how have you achieved this.

I’m be been FTTP ever since we moved to our house five years ago. At no point has BT allowed me to ditch my landline. We currently have no phone connected to the socket as we use our mobiles for calls. I did ask if it was pa possibility but the salesperson said we needed a landline for our fibre.

Late last year we moved to fibre to the home, which is great even though it's gone down twice due to people putting diggers through fibre cables nearby. We dropped the landline as there was no need to maintain a copper landline, so we are now paying a lot less for 200Mbps than the 52Mbps we had with BT broadband. I've never heard of anyone being able to drop the landline charge if you are using a copper connection.

I have BT HALO (FTTP) but still have a landline and don't recall the option to get rid though ours is still used for certain calls to and from family members.

I live in a new build with FTTP. But I believe I still pay for the landline even though I don't use it. BT must have insisted and last time I spoke to them we had a row so I haven't bothered since lol.

We have FTTP with BT who won’t let us ditch the landline. There are only 2 people who phone us on the landline - my aunt and scammers so we really don’t need one.

Last edited:
I'm currently with BT and you have to currently take a landline with them for broadband. A bit of a pain when we don't even have a landline phone plugged in.

I know that virgin media don't require a landline for their fibre packages but wonder if their packages are more expensive than the equivalent BT fibre packages in order to make up the difference. I haven't looked, so don't know.

Today's discussion on 5 live is people ditching their landlines.
As far as I know my ISP doesn't offer this and I recently moved to fibre to the cabinet (FTTC) so it will be 18 months until I could change if they bring a package out.
I believe some ISP's are offering landline free packages which I assume are fibre to the property (FTTP) are there any members saving money by not having a landline and how have you achieved this.
virgin media internet only £25pm. no land land

We needed a landline when we had Sky installed but I don’t think we need it any more, it’s still plugged in to the sky box though. The actual phone socket broke about 4 years ago and the only person who ever called me on it was my dad so I never bothered getting it repaired.

Plusnet FTTC in our house, comes with land line (required) but don't use the phone. £25 a month.

Don't need faster internet that Virgin provides, so it suits us.

I'm currently with BT and you have to currently take a landline with them for broadband. A bit of a pain when we don't even have a landline phone plugged in.

I know that virgin media don't require a landline for their fibre packages but wonder if their packages are more expensive than the equivalent BT fibre packages in order to make up the difference. I haven't looked, so don't know.
We moved last October. We were with Virgin. With BT now. I can tell you it’s gone from £78 per month to forty something. It’s miles faster too.
I keep the land line number because I think some clients like to see a proper number on the web site. I don’t have a phone plugged in, it just diverts to the mobile.

Virgin media don’t require you to have a landline but I’ve just kept mine anyway as the mobile signal in my house isn’t the best.

If you have an iPhone you can use your WiFi for mobile calls...

Settings/Phone/WiFi calling: on

I’m sure you can do this with Android too but I wouldn’t know the settings.

I’m in a rural location and I am too far from the nearest fiber cabinet. When we had standard internet with the phone line it was around 4meg !!
A local company started doing wireless broadband with a dish on the side of the house now it’s guaranteed 40meg no phone line but when we had one it was like the old carlsberg add as no one ever rung it. Nowadays my wife and kids all phone friends and family on WhatsApp or messenger as it’s free so even phone calls from mobiles are on the way out.

If you have an iPhone you can use your WiFi for mobile calls...

Settings/Phone/WiFi calling: on

I’m sure you can do this with Android too but I wouldn’t know the settings.

It's on by default on my Android mobile (Xiaomi Mi 10T Lite). That said sometimes my phone calls sometimes seem to have a lot of delay on them (like a satellite link) so I'm going to try turning it off.

Whilst we haven't ditched our landline (and can't) we don't use it for outgoing calls since switching to Vodafone for broadband (FTTC). Seemed daft to include a call package when we have unlimited minutes on the mobile. If we do use it now it's at their rates which is something daft like 15p a minute so I had to constantly remind the missus for a while 😉 The parents still use our landline to call us though no idea what phone deal their on but they still use their landline and I guess it might cost them more to ring a mobile.

Dad of John said -
virgin media internet only £25pm. no land land
Me -
Thanks I will have a look at that later seems a good price.

I am paying £24 per month for FTTC and get 65 Mbps with a phone line the minimum Virgin package is £28 (then £44 after 18 months) without a phone line which doesn't seem a good deal to me.

They should also be done for misleading advertising on my connection i stream in HD, Game i also believe 65 Mbps is fine for UHD streaming though i have never tried it they are making out below you need higher than 108 Mbps to do this which is total BS.

vvvvvvvvvvv.jpg

Last edited:
Sky FTTC, can see the cabinet from my front window get 76mb and it's £28 a month inc land line, never had a phone connected.

No need for a phone line what so ever.

FTTC comes over the old copper lines, FTTP is all Fibre lines so phones on this service would the virtual type (Voip)

Back