Landline.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They are discussion old phones and party lines on 5 live drive, i remember the old dial phones but not party lines.

Who remembers this -
(ours was the same colour)

Last edited:
To give you the full info FTTC is fibre up to the cabinet - then up to the last two kms are copper, FTTP is a fibre line the whole way to your house from the exchange (hence the much higher speeds)

For the BT customers who were told it wasn’t possible, maybe time to ask again.
https://www.bt.com/broadband/broadband-without-landline
1619113369306.png

I thought the idea of having no landline or no calls was it would make the package cheaper these prices with no landline and a maximum of 36 Mbps are a joke.

vvvvvvvvvvv.jpg

36mb is poor by todays standards.

Saying that who remembers us robotic 56k modems and 1p per min.......ouch

I remember gaming using a dial up modem with a ping of 100ms plus, lag was part of the experience way back then. :laugh8:

When isdn first came out, even though it cost a fortune we were in heaven.
2mb adsl, we were living the dream lol.

When isdn first came out, even though it cost a fortune we were in heaven.
2mb adsl, we were living the dream lol.

I think my first taste of fast broadband was 500k ADSL i remember loading the Ebay home page and instead of each block appearing one at a time taking a minute to load the full page it only took a couple of seconds that WOW feeling has never been beaten even now when we are using much faster speeds.

They are discussion old phones and party lines on 5 live drive, i remember the old dial phones but not party lines.

Who remembers this -
(ours was the same colour)

I remember the party line. Used to drive my dad mad. If someone else had started to use it it would give a half hearted ding. Not sure if it was supposed to.
When he heard that, he would go on about somebody might be trying to get through. In all the time we had a phone, I don’t remember anybody calling him.

Funny how the phone numbers have got longer and the way people answer them.
I come from London. My mum used to clean people’s houses, a lot of them were tv personalities like John Thaw.
We had to answer the phone with ‘Riverside, 7097’ :laugh8:

Thanks I will have a look at that later seems a good price.
I was told it was going to go up from £48 to £52 so I went to cancel and their automated system said press 1 to accept our offer of NO PRICE INCREASE. In our area I can get 65mb for £25. I declined the offer said I was going to walk and lo the price came down to what I could get elsewhere only 100mb rather than 65mb. I'v been with them 20 years but dropped their tv channels a while ago and been using freeview ever since digital.

I moved house in late 2019 and tried to take my BT services/contract with me. My new house is 7 miles from the cabinet and open reach can’t get fibre to our house. They tried fibre via the copper cable, but the signal drops out over such a long distance. They can get ASDL broadband over the copper cable, but the download speed is 1 to 3 meg. Therefore BT allowed us to ditch our contract and landline, at no cost / penalty to ourselves.

We now use unlimited 4g broadband via a Huawei router on three’s network at 20 meg download and 10 upload for £22 a month.

My mobile on the Vodafone network has unlimited 4g, texts and calls for £24 a month. Download is around 25 meg. It is also 5g ready, but I doubt it will ever appear here. Using my phone as a personal hotspot I can stream catch-up / Firestick etc.

Both systems are adequate for needs, which is mainly streaming HD TV. Video calling on WhatsApp and FaceTime both work well.

If I take my mobile outside of our house, that is full of tin foil type insulation I can get 60 meg download and 40ish upload in our garden.

I realize my info doesn't help any in the UK, but I just thought I'd comment.

Haven't had a landline for 13 years while we've lived in five homes in four states. First 5 was fiber in the house, then cable in two locations. Our last home was mini-microwave to the house & now we've got DSL.

We only have cellphones and stream TV through the i-net. Our current DSL it's lousy, but we're leaving this apt for a new house in June. We've saved around $500 on landlines in the 13 years and a lot of phone hassle. Hopefully our home will have the mini-microwave available, sincere it delivers better speeds/dollar. (I really want to get back to my video gaming)

As above, going to have Virgin broadband only in the new house, £40 package, leaving plusnet and happy about it, £38 for 55mb Rubbish.

If you know someone who has Virgin get them to recommend you. You’ll both get a few quid off your next bill. Else, go through Quidco or TopCashback or similar to get cash back.

36mb is poor by todays standards.

Saying that who remembers us robotic 56k modems and 1p per min.......ouch

Easy for you to say. Maxes out around 26 Mbps here as we're in some sort of FTTC black spot. From what I can figure because of this we may be getting FTTP at some point in future but the date as to when that may happen keeps moving out 😥 Get a move on OpenReach 😡

Latest posts

Back