Landlord Conditioning, Force carbonation or priming Query

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Timothy Taylor Landlord Clone

• Condition in conical, condition in keg, then use Blichman Quick Carb

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Bulk condition in a carboy, then force carb

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

St00

Vogon Poet
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dear beer aficionados

I've purchased the Malt Miller's Premium Landlord Clone AG kit.
I love it on draught, but don't think it's half as delicious in bottles.
I'd welcome people's opinions on what to do with it when fermentation's over as I know that people recommend conditioning in the bottle for quite some time.
I'm quite happy to leave a keg for 4 month's if people have tried and tested experience of this.
I may consider bulk conditioning in a carboy if anyone's tried this, but if I do that I'm not sure whether I'd be able to keep the transfer process oxygen free.
Help me do this beer justice and treat it how it deserves to be treated.

Regards,

Stuart

Last edited:
I don't think this style needs to be conditioned for a long period. It's a very light ale and if used something like wyeast 1469 it will flocculate quite quickly. A month in a bottle is always fine for me to allow carbonation and conditioning.

Personally, whilst this style would benefit from being in a cask, I think the biggest difference between the cask version and bottled TT is the carbonation level. If you only prime to about 1.5 vols maximum, it will be much more similar in my opinion.

I may be wrong but I imagine TT get the beer into a cask relatively quickly and ship it out soon afterwards to be consumed within a few weeks. Bottling adds on a little time to this but no need to wait months.

I’ve brewed a Landlord clone a few times and agree it doesn’t need to much conditioning. Normally I do two weeks in primary then straight to a corny keg with 3G sugar per litre., for a couple of weeks. Leaves the beer lightly carbonated. I use a soda stream cylinder so don’t force carbonate so can’t comment on that option but find this beer certainly works we’ll just primed with table sugar.

I’ve brewed a Landlord clone a few times and agree it doesn’t need to much conditioning. Normally I do two weeks in primary then straight to a corny keg with 3G sugar per litre., for a couple of weeks. Leaves the beer lightly carbonated. I use a soda stream cylinder so don’t force carbonate so can’t comment on that option but find this beer certainly works we’ll just primed with table sugar.

Thank you, you're the first person to reply who's actually done it in 3 forums (David Heath Facebook Group, Manchester Homebrew and this one). I can only assume the 2 weeks minimum conditioning recommendation is for bottles only. Do you heat your kegs or just leave them at room temp?

Generally I find room temperature for a couple of weeks is enough, I should add I like a very light level of carbonation to the point some would consider it flat. Normally I would then serve at room temperature, I actually prefer this beer fairly young and find it degrades somewhat with age, although still drinkable.

I’m lucky enough to have a couple of pubs round me that sell Landlord and while my clone isn’t an exact match it’s pretty damm close and is still a lovely pint. I had a look at the recipe on Malt Miller and the recipe I use is pretty much the same although I don’t use the wheat, just Golden Promise and black malt, and scaled to 11L.

Anyone recommend an addition to the festival kit as a grain tweek, I've got one to do yet.

Latest posts

Back