Last saturday

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

prog99

Landlord.
Reaction score
A bit late..
Every year I knock up a keg of sessionable pale ale for my mountaineering clubs annual new year get together. Got round to it a bit late on saturday.
So 5kg of pale plus 200g of oats and rye that was lying around so I threw it in (out of sight, out of mind...). Really need a supplementary filter for my mash tun. I've been using the double brew bin method for 15 years and I think a bit too much gunk is getting through (this will be a new thread where I will be asking some daft plumbing questions...)

Hops were some randoms kicking around. I had 100g of short dated mount hood that cost a quid. 50g in the boil and 25g + 25g of saaz at the end. Another 25g dry hopped which I doubt will add much but it got rid of the last of the mt hood. I also put 25g of my own home grown challenger into the boil.Yes I was making this up as I went along..

Quite a smooth boil, no dramas. Used a copper wort chiller for the first time, very impressed but got far more break material than normal which clogged the tap and fixing that got more than I wanted into the fv. Also the first lot of pellet hops managed to escape the hop bag..

Pitched with US 05 saturday night at 1.065. It went off like a rocket. Fermentation died down today with a gravity reading of 1.014. Tasted good and is clearing rapidly. Its kind of IPA like with a continental hop character. Shame the weather has got milder, I've no means of getting it cooler.

Those paying attention may wonder as to how this is sessionable... Dozy here forgot they were brewing an 18l batch rather than 23l. I'll tell everyone to restrain themselves.

Interesting recipe! Will be interested to hear how that turns out when it's all done and kegged up.

I had a similar break material clogging issue on Saturday too. Ended up pouring the contents of the kettle in to the FV through a sieve, it's all looking a bit murky currently but hoping a cold crash it'll clear up. It's for personal consumption at least so i'll drink it whatever!

Its barely a recipe but I think it'll taste good. I had a brewdog IPA made with german hops the other day which was pretty good.

I kegged this today. Pretty good. The maltiness comes through more than I expected with a nice bitterness that doesn't mask the european taste/aroma of the mt hood & saaz. Probably should have dry hopped more as I had more saaz in the freezer needing used up but overall not bad.
Not as clear as I would have liked. The yeast and general **** dropped out really fast after the main fermentation completed but the drinkable stuff has a bit of a haze that maybe the next month may fix.

Back