Late carb and hop ajustment

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nige

Regular.
Reaction score
Well I opened one of my bottles last night and didn't seem as carbonated, my point is it's been in a cold store a couple of weeks but could I bring it back to warm for a week and let any odd bottle have more time to carbonate?. My other point was I would like to hop a few bottle so while very cold I thought why not pop a few tops and slip a full hop into the bottle?. Anyone done this?.

Letting the bottles warm again should get the yeast going again to complete carbonation. Giving them a gentle swirl once they are warmed would also help get the settled yeast going again.

Never tried dry hopping in the bottle. While I can think of many, many reasons why it would probably not yield good results, I can't see the harm in trying it with a couple of bottles. Worse case scenario is you end up pouring them down the drain.

Interesting never thought of dropping a pellet into a bottle might give it a shot with 3 or 4 on my next batch

Yes, I can't see pouring them away and a full hop in one small bottle is probably an adequate dry hop, carbonation could only be minimal affecting the outcome if chilled and your beer isn't flat, in which case you could add a pinch of priming sugar or even yeast. I suppose my thoughts are if your beer is brewed and clean, you can alter or tweeks it as you wish. The only risk could be infection but in a clean finished beer I think that's a very low possibility if hopped or tweeked quickly and cold before the temperature adjustment. Just my thoughts so I will try a few bottles hop wise. I will never know how much carbonation changes as they would all have to be under carbonated however I will notice a hop change.

Ok thanks must be super concentrated I suppose

Last edited:
+1 here on hops in the bottle being a disaster and the bottles going full Linda Blair when opened.

I think its a grossly poor idea, being in cold store means what temperature? Yeast will continue working, albeit slowly even at fridge temperatures.
+1 here on hops in the bottle being a disaster and the bottles going full Linda Blair when opened.
Isn't her name Cherie Blair?

Don’t do it nige. DON’T PANIC. As the good book says. Time & patience are your friend. Popping a top and dropping a pellet in is asking for bad beer & probably a mount Vesuvius ale spurter.

Ha well there's my answers, thought someone must have tried it, I wasn't thinking of hop pellets just a frozen hop.

Latest posts

Back