Late hop additions and IBU.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have seen some discussion regarding Tinseth IBU formula, and how it is trustworthy for more lenghty bittering additions, but greatly overestimates the ibu contribution of later additions.
I use Beersmith for recipe formulation, would I be good to go for example my bitter, to just add enough Challenger at 60 min to achieve my desired bitterness and then ignore the suggested contribution of the 15 min hops and the hopstand?

I very rarely use bittering hops now I do mostly whirlpool additions and get my IBU's from there. It works for me but I do still add some later additions say 10, 20, 30 mins in some beers but never outright bittering hops but again that suits my taste.
If you search the forum there have been many threads that discuss whirlpool and dry hop additions etc re IBU contributions which(dry hoppping) was believed to not give any IBU's in a past life so maybe some good info if you read the threads athumb..

Back