Latest from Get Er Brewed.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks to all that gave feedback on how to make this service better, we have just went live with alot of new updates on this service, check them out:

https://www.geterbrewed.com/customized-grain-kit-en/

Our web designer highlighted that the most frequent request for an amendment was to be able to see the recipe you had designed in your account, so you can now see the recipes and should be able to also see all the previous recipes you created & re order at the click of a button

This piece of software is very complicated & the upgrades took alot of time & effort but we are confident it continues to be the best service of its type, the level of customisation isn't available anywhere else

Craft-a-Beer Logo.jpg

New Lallemand Wildbrew Sourpitch

We spent sometime with Lallemand at Drinktec and heard about alot of exciting new products that they are developing, they have a range of new talent that have joined the team including technical brewers so they have their finger on the pulse with how the industry is evolving. I have microbrewery supplies arriving this week but will have some samples for homebrewers that i'd been keen to get some reviews on

As sour beer gains more attention in the market, we are thrilled to see brewers both reviving historical sour methods and pushing the boundaries of traditional styles and flavour. We meet the Lallemand team at Drinktec and it appears Lallemand Brewing have been listening, and we have something for you. Lallemand have developed a product specifically for avant-garde brewers looking to showcase creativity through sour all the while maintaining consistency and quality.

Lallemand Brewing is proud to introduce the first product of the WildBrewâ„¢ product line: say hello to WildBrewâ„¢ Sour Pitch, a ready-to-use dried bacteria, a strain of Lactobacillus plantarum specifically selected for its ability to produce a wide range of sour beer styles, including Gose, Lambic and Berliner Weisse. WildBrewâ„¢ Sour Pitch will deliver unmatched consistency, effortless application, fully assured performance and unparalleled purity for brewing the sour beer style of your choice.

Join this broad-reaching category and explore this mix of historic and sometimes uncharted territory - from time-honored Belgian lambics and traditional kettle-soured German ales to the Wild West of strange and forward-pushing experimental sours.

Focus on your creativity and style and let WildBrewâ„¢ Sour Pitch do the rest.

And just as with any of Lallemand Brewing’s premium brewing yeasts, WildBrew™ Sour Pitch comes with Lallemand’s unmatched technical support and expertise. If you have any questions, doubts or simply want to know more, just visit www.lallemandbrewing.com/sour

Microbrewery Packs are 250g
https://www.geterbrewed.com/lallemand-wildbrew-sour-pitch-250g-en/

Blog Entry
https://www.geterbrewed.com/hints-and-tips

Wildbrew Sourpitch.jpg

The Mangrove Jack’s Dual Temperature Controller is a heating and cooling regulator to ferment your beer at controlled temperatures. It can be used with your fridge and heat pad or heat belt. The fridge and the heating option can be plugged into the controller at the same time allowing them to work in partnership with one another. No additional wiring or probes required. Just plug it in!
Specifications:
• Temperature Control Range: -50-99ºC (-58-210ºF)
• Power Supply: 220V AC +/- 10%, 50/60HZ
• Sensor: NTC Sensor
• Relay Contact Capacity: Cooling (10A/250V AC), Heat (10A/250V AC)
• Accuracy: +/- 1ºC (-50-70ºC or -58-158ºF)

https://www.geterbrewed.com/dual-temperature-controller/

Dual Temperature Controller.jpg

There is a renewed interest in the use of un malted cereals in the brewing industry, both home brewers and small craft brewers are experimenting more with unmalted cereals. Geterbrewed have been proudly working with Crisp malt as their distributor in Ireland, the Crisp Malting Group Acquired Micronized Food Products in 2014 and this adds a range of un malted cereals to our extensive catalogue of brewing ingredients at the best value for you the brewer…

So what are unmalted cereals?
Cooked cereals used in brewing are known as Torrefied cereals, and are widely used as natural adjuncts in the brewing process. Geterbrewed supply a range of wheat, barley, maize, oats in flaked or whole form.
Flaked products can be conveniently used as you can add to the wort without the need for milling
Torrified Products are widely used to enhance clarity in the brewing process as well as improving head retention, they offer exceleent cost benefits compared to malt products

Carl Heron from Crisp Malt talks about a renewed interest in unmalted cereal ingredients
“This has, perhaps, been a reaction to the way international players have set their store by inclusions of maize or rice at the rate of over 20%,” he said. “However, brewers in the craft sector are increasingly adventurous. They’re experimenting extensively with the rich range of malts, but also visiting some of the excellent un-malted cereals on offer.”

Torrefied and micronised wheat, barley, oats, rye, maize and rice all offer the opportunity to play tunes on the flavour notes of beer. They have an impact on colour, head retention, body, smoothness and mouthfeel, and can therefore offer significant help in orchestrating the overall characters of beers.

Clearly, brewers can’t use raw grains. In the past, those that weren’t malted might be passed through a stream of hot sand by grain merchants or had to be put through a cereal mash by brewers (using up precious space in the mash tun). The processes of torrefication and micronisation have provided much more satisfactory answers. They involve rapid cooking of cereals at high temperatures to gelatinise the starchy endosperm.

Torrefication, rather like the sand-based methods of the past, involves passing the grains through a fluidised bed of very hot air at 750 to 780ºF. The cell walls of the grains are disrupted. The grains expand, their density changes, they’re aspirated to remove dust and chaff, then sized and cooled in the ambient air.

Micronisation involves using infrared waves to rapidly heat grains until they ‘pop’. The molecules within the grains vibrate and the molecular friction causes the fast increase in temperature and rise in water vapour pressure. Once the cellular structure has been disrupted, the starch gelatinises.

What unmalted cereal ingredients do Geterbrewed stock?

Torrefied whole or crushed wheat

Torrefied wheat improves head retention, especially in wheat beers. It’s great for use as a nitrogen diluent as it adds very little soluble nitrogen to wort. It also adds subtle depth of flavour and body.

Torrefied flaked barley
Torrefied flaked barley has similar benefits to torrefied wheat, but with a stronger and slightly harsher flavour.

Micronised flaked maize
Micronized flaked maize adds up to 20% of grist to the tun with normal malt, and even more with high diastatic power malt. On top of this, it improves body and mouthfeel, and is gluten and nitrogen free, allowing it to be used as a diluent in coeliac-friendly beers.

Micronised flaked rice
Micronized flaked rice also adds grist to the tun, and adds a greater perception of refreshment. It also accentuates hop aromas, without adding taste.

Micronised flaked oats
Micronized flaked oats improve mouthfeel and increase body, but also impart a smoothness and a pleasant oaty flavour on the beer.

Both torrefication and micronisation can be applied to many cereals, including barley, wheat, rice, maize, oats, and rye, creating grains ready to be used for brewing, providing their own benefits. With these products you will be able to develop a brew that consists of your preferred colour, head retention, body, smoothness, and mouthfeel.

Of course, experimenting with malts is crucial to developing a fantastic brew, but if a beer needs a little boost in a certain area, there’s usually an un-malted cereal which can be used to save the day.

Buy Unmalted Cereal Products
https://www.geterbrewed.com/flaked-and-unmalted-adjuncts/

Blog entry on unmalted cereal products
https://www.geterbrewed.com/unmalted-cereal-ingredients-for-brewing-beer/

Hi Guys

We have some samples of the New Lallemand Wildbrew Sourpitch

https://www.geterbrewed.com/lallemand-wildbrew-sour-pitch-250g-en/

Full spec and recommended souring procedure are in the above link, we are only selling to Microbreweries at this stage but have some samples for homebrewers.

We want a review if you taking a free sample so please dont ask unless your planning to review

Thanks

Jonathan

Yeah I would be in for giving this a try. I’ve experimented with natural yogurt to sour a beer but I would be fascinated to see how a Berliner Weiss would come out using this. And how predictable/repeatable it could be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'm interested in this, I've wanted to make a gose for ages.

Yeah I would be in for giving this a try. I’ve experimented with natural yogurt to sour a beer but I would be fascinated to see how a Berliner Weiss would come out using this. And how predictable/repeatable it could be.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Another option is to use L. Plantarum tablets which you can find in health food shops (here for example.) It's exactly the same stuff as that Lallemand sourpitch, though obviously not manufactured to the same purity standards.

Those of you interested in a free sample of the new Wildbrew Sourpitch from Lallemand , add a note in the comment box at checkout of your next order, we have 6 still to give away so first come first serve

Please provide a review with feedback

Thanks

Jonathan

We are moving to a new and improved warehouse and so we dont have to move everything we are having a massive malt & hop sale

20% off already great prices makes this an impressive offer
https://www.geterbrewed.com/all-grain-brewing/

Members also have a 5% discount

Stock up & get those christmas brews on

Jonathan

Doesn't look like the 20% sale applies to Malts etc in a custom kit?

Just added a kilo of base malt and a custom kit with only a kilo of the same and the kit was dearer ...

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

Thanks i did not know that. I have some but its a year out of date so i will get some more.

I had a similar issue last time I bought from them, that’s the only reason I know that amber is a biscuit sub.

Latest posts

Back