Latest gender pay gap BS could cost Tesco 4 Billion

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, I thank The Lord that most of my working life was spent working for myself or for American Oil & Gas Companies. They had a simple work ethic:
  • Do the job and we pay you.
  • Do the job well and we will train and promote you.
  • Don't do the job well enough and we will fire you.
It worked for me! On one job I was a Shift Supervisor on my side of the fence but I didn't have the "qualifications" to clean out the toilets on our customer's side of the fence, which was managed by a British company.:gulp:

It can be quite difficult to find work in UK oil and gas, however it seems the only qualification required for a large number in that sector is the ability to breath.
:?:

.............. If the **** person is really **** they should leave or be let go. If they're ok and get the job done but only, fair enough but the better worker should be praised through increased remuneration. Thank yous don't pay the bills.

A company I worked for put the whole workforce on what is known as a "Blake & Mouton Course". Basically, the system uses a grid that rates people on two aspects of working life; "Getting the Job Done" and "Managing/Dealing with People":
  • People who have the ability to manage and deal with other people get a "9" on the grid and those who struggle/don't care get a "1".
  • People who can get the job done get a "9" on the grid and those who struggle to get the job done get a "1"
Under the system, perfect managers and employees get a "9:9" and the really bad ones get a "1:1".

For me, there were two memorable events during the course:
  1. When everyone had voted that someone with a "1:1" rating deserved to be sacked one of the lads pointed out "Why are you going to sack someone who can just do the job? You might get someone who can't do the job at all."
  2. When discussing the subject of Teamwork one of the Operators said "On our Shift, Teamwork means doing everything that the Shift Supervisor tells us to do." Unfortunately, I had to agree with him and change the way I ran my Shift; 'cos I was his Shift Supervisor.
Here's a link to the Blake & Mouton Course for anyone interested:

https://www.mindtools.com/pages/article/newLDR_73.htm

Happy Days.:gulp:

It can be quite difficult to find work in UK oil and gas, however it seems the only qualification required for a large number in that sector is the ability to breath.
:?:

.... and work!

The lads at the bottom aren't called "Roughnecks" for nothing. :gulp:

PS

They're actually called "Roustabouts" which is probably even worse!

Last edited:
If two people do the same job they should be paid the same money. However after 6 months, a year, 10 years whatever. Those two people doing the same job, if one is **** and the other is good then the person that works better, harder and more efficient should get pay rises to suit their work ethic. If the **** person is really **** they should leave or be let go. If they're ok and get the job done but only, fair enough but the better worker should be praised through increased remuneration. Thank yous don't pay the bills.

And then we come full circle in this Tesco case. Because, on average, men will do a better job of the more manual work involved in the warehouse, so warehouse men get paid more than warehouse women, on average, which would be interpreted as gender pay difference. You see where I'm going...

See where this is going....minimum wage...gender pay gaps or whatever. ..educated people,degree and above will get bigger and bigger wages..the rest. ..manual workers,non degree educated...will get an increase in their basic wage through "minimum" wage which initially will all seem rather grand...but it will be strangled and capped until all general jobs pay the same...

Not sure about that Clint, have you seen the size of debt young people are coming out of uni with now? Jobs are hard to come by for graduates any many end up just getting by. Not sure I'll be recommending to my kids that they go and get a degree.....

Yes unfortunately that's true...there will be plenty of jobs for the children of people who already hold the higher positions in society and won't enter the working world already in debt...

Latest posts

Back