Latest hobby - CNC router

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChilledGecko

Zythophile, innit mate
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just taken ownership of a Chinese CNC Router.
No instructions, hookie software, no indication of connections from control box to PC, no idea which software to use for control.
Not a clue about the whole design CAD/CAM/Machine process.

Fun times ahead!

I love a challenge clapa

Attachments

• CNC.jpg
    CNC.jpg
    18.4 KB · Views: 211
No instructions, hookie software, no indication of connections from control box to PC, no idea which software to use for control.

Fun times ahead!

I love a challenge clapa
AutoCAD Fusion360. Best value in cad/cam software on the market. Endless hours of tutorials on Youtube.

AutoCAD Fusion360. Best value in cad/cam software on the market. Endless hours of tutorials on Youtube.
Yes, I seem to keep coming back to fusion 360, but I suspect there is a step learning curve.
I've got as far as loading it and is a different world.
It's certainly not install and go!

I've found I can use Linuxcnc as the controller software as the control box is paraport based even though it was sold as usb.. 🙄

Is it a genuine dodgy one?
I used to set up and run CNC machines making spectacle lenses..I made Patrick Moore's monacle when he visited the factory and actually met him.
He had lots of dandruff and dinner on his tie but was a very nice chap.

I used to be a CNC programmer many many moons ago. Turbine blades.

Can't remember the G and M codes now. It's been so long.

Funnily enough I've very recently started to build a CNC router. Been buying parts off Ebay and Amazon, and am slowly constructing it.
I had one about 12-13 years back, but it was home built by someone else and although very nicely done, not rigid enough.
The one I'm building now will be bigger and far more rigid. It's a project for the rest of the year and winter. I did have a degree of ability with Rhino3D for CAD, and need to relearn it. I also wanted to properly understand the electronics side of the build too, and that should be much easier now with USB access rather than LPT.
If all goes well, I'll upgrade it in time to a bigger more rigid frame with greater cutting capacity.
Best of luck!

Is it a genuine dodgy one?
Oh, yes!
No manuals, comes with a CD complete with snyde copies of software and codes.
Drivers for Windows XP and other assorted software I'd be nervous about installing anywhere near any machine of mine.

In fairness the frame is solid and heavy, reasonable sized stepper motors, no perceived give in the motor spindle.

Good little project for me. 🤘

Fun times ahead!

I love a challenge clapa

Hi! I just signed up to the forum as it has a good 'vibe' to it, and I'm just getting back into brewing after a 40 odd year break! I saw this post, funny enough I do CNC, and put together an 'Ox' machine (based on OpenBuilds) a couple of years ago. It's for my 'other' hobby; product design, but I plan to carve out some nice coasters for each new beer I brew, which seems a fair use of a CNC machine to me!! On the subject of CAD, I've settled on Fusion, as it really does the lot, yes it is a learning curve, but wouldn't be a decent hobby if it there was no learning involved? I can whole heartedly recommend watching Lars Christensen's tutorials on Youtube: Lars Christensen that's how I learned, then when you're comfortable with the basics look at Brad Tallis: Brad Tallis My advice if I may offer it, is to start simple but aim big!

Best wishes and hi to all..
Andy

@craft_ales_project Cheers Andy!

Fusion does seem to be the only real player but I've started with Carbide Create for design and pumping out g-code for some simple ideas.
The g-code does not work with LinxCNC I need to remark out a few lines in each section but no biggie.
I'm already outgrowing what Carbide can do but it's got me out of the traps and running.

I've seen (and bookmarked) Lars's tutorials. I just need to find a lot of time to block view some.

I've got my CNC running, as in it will dance to g-code. I've yet to explore drill speed control (currently manual) and fit limit switches (on order)
I'm sure I can get the steppers running faster and quieter but for now she is cutting.

I didn't realise how noisy they are until I had it running a job and I walked away.
It's on a custom table but I'll build an enclosure to keep the noise down too.

I looked at the Ox route but I decided that as I knew nothing, having a built frame was key to getting a working machine!
How big is your Ox footprint? Mine is a 'standard' 6040.

Beer coasters are on my radar too! Great minds and all that....

BTW, welcome to the forum! athumb..

Kevin

@craft_ales_project Cheers Andy!

Fusion does seem to be the only real player but I've started with Carbide Create for design and pumping out g-code for some simple ideas.
The g-code does not work with LinxCNC I need to remark out a few lines in each section but no biggie.
I'm already outgrowing what Carbide can do but it's got me out of the traps and running.

I've seen (and bookmarked) Lars's tutorials. I just need to find a lot of time to block view some.

I've got my CNC running, as in it will dance to g-code. I've yet to explore drill speed control (currently manual) and fit limit switches (on order)
I'm sure I can get the steppers running faster and quieter but for now she is cutting.

I didn't realise how noisy they are until I had it running a job and I walked away.
It's on a custom table but I'll build an enclosure to keep the noise down too.

I looked at the Ox route but I decided that as I knew nothing, having a built frame was key to getting a working machine!
How big is your Ox footprint? Mine is a 'standard' 6040.

Beer coasters are on my radar too! Great minds and all that....

BTW, welcome to the forum! athumb..

Kevin

Hi Kevin, thanks for the welcome! The machine size is 750 x 500, Practically it will machine up to a size of 430 x 350, and I have a Stepcraft waterbath fitted pretty much full time, as I cut a lot of carbon fibre. I have a watercooled 3 phase spindle which is excellent, and not really that expensive either, it came with the 3 phase controller. It runs very quietly but of course the noise comes when the tool hits the material! It's in my insulated shed, so is inaudible from outside with doors shut. The Ox has an xPro v3 (GRBL V1.1) controller, so I just post the tool path out of fusion using their GRBL code and simply open the file with UGS, it's that simple. Once you've homed the beast and set the work coordinates, you can jog the machine to check it's going to cut where it's supposed to as you are able to see your design on the screen.
BTW, I've designed a malt paddle and modelled it in Fusion with some exotic hardwoods, so I'll figure out how to post an image here and show you! Do you use a image posting host on the forum? I guess you do, or I can share from Post image?

Cheers for now
Andy

Hi Andy,
water bath / carbon fibre is well above my head - whoosh!
My spindle is a water cooled 1.5Kw VFD jobbie, as you say - quiet until the tool hits!

Sounds like you have it all under control, I'm bouncing from idea to idea at the moment...

Posting to the forum is as simple as hitting the 'Attach File' button. Pictures are fine, not sure about other file types

Kevin

Hi Andy,
water bath / carbon fibre is well above my head - whoosh!
My spindle is a water cooled 1.5Kw VFD jobbie, as you say - quiet until the tool hits!

Sounds like you have it all under control, I'm bouncing from idea to idea at the moment...

Posting to the forum is as simple as hitting the 'Attach File' button. Pictures are fine, not sure about other file types

Kevin
Thanks Kevin, here goes!
A6153CC1-3FEF-4A35-A4AE-0C741708D7A5.png

that went ok! So I’m on the lookout for some nice hardwood then I’ll give it a whirl!

Nice Andy!
So do you have a 4 axis machine then?
Or are the sides rounded post cut out?
Thanks Kevin! No, it's a bog standard 3 axis, but it is possible to produce fillets & chamfers using a V bit or a ball end mill and a 3D toolpath, as oposed to a 'contour' toolpath, which is what I mainly use for my 'stuff'. Funny enough, I think these CNC routers are mainly intended for wood carving (or light aluminium/carbon etc), but perhaps ironically I've never tried wood yet! For this project I would typically produce two toolpaths, a profile for the lettering, which I would then cut with a veining bit, the second 'profile' toolpath would cut the pieces from the stock, perhaps adding a chamfer or two. Of course you would need to reverse the material to chamfer the other side, so TBH I would just do this by hand, as it's only wood! I guess you could even use small hand router bits to add a preformed contour to an edge for that 'pro' look, it is only wood after all..?

BTW I first learned to produce toolpaths by watching this tutorial, which pretty much says it all in a simple way.. He's using a Stepcraft CNC machine, but the principle is no different to any other machine really, the difference is in the G code that you select for your particular machine, as I say, mine understands GRBL.

Andy

Last edited:
Thanks for those links Andy, I have some minimal background to using Rhino some years back, and I'm not sure I can face up to paying the money for Rhino again, and it's now on 6 rather than 3! I could pick up an OEM licence for reasonable money, but have downloaded Fusion as it looks pretty handy.

Cutting carbon fibre...minimum req for mask..A2P3 rating...done 10 years in the composites industry making pre-preg carbon/composite products for F1, military,aerospace/space, performance cars,boats etc....it's made of horrible stuff...

Latest posts

Back