Lavender Sparkle yeast question

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheflyingFiat

Reaction score
I am going to make a Lavender sparkle like a wine/champagne. The list of ingredients on the book is Lavender flowers, apple vinegar cider, castor sugar, unwaxed lemon and zest skin of lemon. I have no experience before brew on wine/champagne, as I do have a lot of experience bases on beers/ales in the past. I was not too sure which yeast should I use? Turbo Yeast 48 for quickly fermentation or use Sparkle yeast (Yeast with Emulsifier E491) made in Canada from wilko shops? Is the yeast Emulsifier E491 same on all other yeast??
Thanks
Fab

I am going to make a Lavender sparkle like a wine/champagne. The list of ingredients on the book is Lavender flowers, apple vinegar cider, castor sugar, unwaxed lemon and zest skin of lemon. I have no experience before brew on wine/champagne, as I do have a lot of experience bases on beers/ales in the past. I was not too sure which yeast should I use? Turbo Yeast 48 for quickly fermentation or use Sparkle yeast (Yeast with Emulsifier E491) made in Canada from wilko shops? Is the yeast Emulsifier E491 same on all other yeast??
Thanks
Fab
Sounds broadly similar to an elderflower champagne which you will find lots of recipes for such as :
https://www.brewuk.co.uk/blog/elderflower-champers/
Avoid turbo yeasts - they're fine for alcopops (which is what they were originally created for) and moonshine, but not when you care about flavour.

You're only giving the yeast simple sugars to eat, so a wine/champagne yeast will be fine, including the Wilko wine yeast.

E491 is a pretty standard ingredient that improves shelf life of dry yeast and helps rehydration, it's used in pretty small amounts and you shouldn't worry about it. For instance, it's 1% of most of the Fermentis yeasts like S-04, from memory Lallemand use it in their wine yeasts but maybe not all their beer yeasts.

Back