Lazy brewing. Adding hops to kits.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Totally do this.

Boil 1.5kgs Light DME in 12ltrs water for an hour and add bittering, taste and nose hops at your discretion. Add another 1 to 1.5kg DME in the last 15, cool and add to your fermenter to make 23 ltrs of IPA style beer of your making. (Pitching yeast obviously which is another factor you can experiment with. Use Safale US-05 as the starting point)
Use a chart like this to play about with hops.

http://www.cliffsnotesbeerguide.com/wp-content/uploads/hop-chart.jpg

I made a cream ale this year and added all the hops (Amarillo) twenty minutes before end of boil. I got it all, bitter, flavor, and some aroma. No need to boil an hour if you put enough in. Takes more to get the same bitterness as an hour boil gives but makes a slightly easier brew day.

I read Sierra Nevada does similar with their pale ale. All the hops go in at the end of the boil.

Totally do this.

Boil 1.5kgs Light DME in 12ltrs water for an hour and add bittering, taste and nose hops at your discretion. Add another 1 to 1.5kg DME in the last 15, cool and add to your fermenter to make 23 ltrs of IPA style beer of your making. (Pitching yeast obviously which is another factor you can experiment with. Use Safale US-05 as the starting point)
Use a chart like this to play about with hops.

http://www.cliffsnotesbeerguide.com/wp-content/uploads/hop-chart.jpg
That's called extract brewing. Plenty of recipes for that including some in Greg Hughes book 'Home Brew Beer' where there an absence of grain without diastatic power, and so AG recipes can be converted directly e,g Cascade, EKG and Amarillo single hop beers

Thanks Terry, I've ordered that book, I couldn't resist trying one of my beers last night...
It's much better than I thought it would be!
20200610_191723.jpg

Extract brewing might be the way to go next, it was not very time consuming and fun experiment.

There's one kit that works a treat.
It's Bulldog's Evil Dog Double IPA.
The kit comes with 2 packets of hop pellets. What I did was adding an equal quantity of Mosaic to 5 L of the made wort (separate boil as per instrutions) and used the other 2 plus the same quantity again of Mosaic as a dry hop.
The end result is wonderful.
Resurrecting an old thread here. I have a batch of Evil Dog on the go at the moment and invested in some Mosaic to add as a dry hop. How much should I add to the 25g each of Summit & Simcoe which came in the box? I like American style IPAs like Lagunitas & Goose Island and I'm a big fan of NB's Lost Cosmonaut. Punk as a staple.

Resurrecting an old thread here. I have a batch of Evil Dog on the go at the moment and invested in some Mosaic to add as a dry hop. How much should I add to the 25g each of Summit & Simcoe which came in the box? I like American style IPAs like Lagunitas & Goose Island and I'm a big fan of NB's Lost Cosmonaut. Punk as a staple.
I used equal quantity as the other hops, or at least the equivalent in hopflowers.

I also used a portion of the wort to boil 25g of Mosaic before I pitched the yeast

Ok. I've been thinking more about super low effort brewing...

I'm going to ferment a few KG of spray malt and some sugar. At the end I'm adding some isomered hop extract for bitterness and a lot of hops for aroma.

I think it might lack a bit of body... But we'll see.

Anyone got any predictions?
Steep 200-300g crystal malt or carapils for 20 mins, boil for 10-15 mins. More body and more malt aroma. A little bit of grain makes a big difference in my experience.

Latest posts

Back