Leadership Debate

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
After my nightshift i'm just catching up on the debate last night (need something to get me off to sleep).

I'm fairly centrist in my politics I guess.

Observations so far;

Sunak obviously clued up on the economy (you'd hope so) and blowing the others out of the water in economic questions. He does look more confident in public speaking than many of the others, I think he's really tainted by his association with Bojo (for me at least).

Tugendhat coming across positively, straight answers. The Kemi comment about how it's easy for him to criticise from the back of the class was a shot to the gut though.

Kemi Badenoch i thought started off well and but faltered as it went on (which is good as I don't like her very much).

Mordaunt, seemed very nervous, stuttered on the Boris question, struggled with the economic questions, it's the first time i've really seen her talk and wasn't impressed.

Truss, :laugh8:

Think i'd agree with the opinium snap poll, Tugendhat won, Sunak in 2nd.

On a more positive note I think it's great that out of the original 10 candidates there were so many people from different ethnic backgrounds and women in the mixer.

After my nightshift i'm just catching up on the debate last night (need something to get me off to sleep).

I'm fairly centrist in my politics I guess.

Observations so far;

Sunak obviously clued up on the economy (you'd hope so) and blowing the others out of the water in economic questions. He does look more confident in public speaking than many of the others, I think he's really tainted by his association with Bojo (for me at least).

Tugendhat coming across positively, straight answers. The Kemi comment about how it's easy for him to criticise from the back of the class was a shot to the gut though.

Kemi Badenoch i thought started off well and but faltered as it went on (which is good as I don't like her very much).

Mordaunt, seemed very nervous, stuttered on the Boris question, struggled with the economic questions, it's the first time i've really seen her talk and wasn't impressed.

Truss, :laugh8:

Think i'd agree with the opinium snap poll, Tugendhat won, Sunak in 2nd.

On a more positive note I think it's great that out of the original 10 candidates there were so many people from different ethnic backgrounds and women in the mixer.
All apart from Tugmyhat too tainted by their association with and loyalty to the Clown. Tuggy said I few things that sounded really good and insightful, but I wouldn't trust him as far as I can throw him (and I was carp at judo). Maudant was a complete ruin- she said a lot, but told us nothing. Truss was being walked and talked remotely by some minion of the aforementioned clown, Badenough was bad enough- started losing the will to live after a few of her replies and Sunak is just in it for himself, has a great grasp of economics and zero grasp of the needs of the common man and woman: "The only way to put money in people's pockets is to curb inflation" yeah, that'll give consolation to the empty-bellied.
I ended up hoping that none of them would win and that the world would end first.
Where's Vlad the Lad when we need him?

Oh yeah, and as for cutting taxes, how is that going to help anyone who doesn't earn enough to pay tax anyway?

I didn’t watch a bunch of Tories but did anyone ask them about
1. How are they going to turn around the economy that they’ve screwed up in 12 years?
2. How are they going to get any benefit from Brexit?
3. Are they going to ship refugees to Rwanda?
4. How will they tackle the poverty they have caused?
5. Will they allow Scotland (and any other region) a vote on independence?

Spot the difference
FXuzedXVUAAkb1D.jpeg

FXuzedgUIAA0ez-.jpeg

Remember there’s no such thing as a good Tory on less evil ones.
The current crop make people like Ken Clarke and Michael Heseltine look like good Tories. Even Jeremy Hunt, who was awful as Health Secretary looks OK for a Tory in comparison.
But yes, when it comes down to it they are all bad.

I am not wasting an hour of my day listening to those back stabbing snakes i don't care who gets the job i just hope people remember how bad this lot have handled things when the next election comes round and we get rid of them.

Last edited:
Remember there’s no such thing as a good Tory on less evil ones.

See, whilst I wouldn't vote tory I've always found comments like that unhelpful.

I can't remember what/who I was listening too... it may have been Rory Stewart, in fact it probably was.

He was saying that he'd had cross party discussions with people that he'd hoped to make progress and work together with from the Labour party. Problem was that as soon as he met them he realised that the person despised him already without having met him first. It made any hope of working together and compromise a non starter.

None of the five would say out loud that the prime minister was an honest man. Tom Tugendhat won applause for saying the opposite. Even Liz Truss, seen as closest to Mr Johnson and endorsed by his key allies, wouldn't say it.
Just over a week ago, four of the five would have been expected to come out to bat for Mr Johnson as members of the government. Politics moves on quickly.
Secondly, there is an important ideological debate among the candidates over tax, which sometimes boiled over in the exchanges between Rishi Sunak and Ms Truss.
Mr Sunak wants to portray himself as a fiscal realist. Ms Truss wants to be seen as a low tax Tory.

We saw a more combative, less robotic side to Mr Sunak, as he launched a defence of his economic stance.
He was highly critical of Ms Truss, saying her plans to cut taxes were a fairy tale and she should be more honest about the impact of her strategy to borrow money and pay back Covid debt over time.
Ms Truss criticised Mr Sunak for putting up national insurance and corporation tax when he was at the Treasury.
Tom Tugendhat also went in hard - when he accused Mr Sunak of saying he was only increasing National Insurance because the prime minister had told him to.
Penny Mordaunt's supporters say she wanted to rise above the squabbling on tax. But the risk is, she gets squeezed in a debate which could well define this leadership contest.

Full article -
Tory leadership race: Stakes high as debate exposes rifts

See, whilst I wouldn't vote tory I've always found comments like that unhelpful.

I can't remember what/who I was listening too... it may have been Rory Stewart, in fact it probably was.

He was saying that he'd had cross party discussions with people that he'd hoped to make progress and work together with from the Labour party. Problem was that as soon as he met them he realised that the person despised him already without having met him first. It made any hope of working together and compromise a non starter.
You have to remember that the Tory party exists to make the rich richer and concentrate power in the hands of the few, while the Labour party exists to improve the lives of everyone one. Of course they can't work together, their purposes for existing are diametrically opposed.

You have to remember that the Tory party exists to make the rich richer and concentrate power in the hands of the few, while the Labour party exists to improve the lives of everyone one. Of course they can't work together, their purposes for existing are diametrically opposed.

There's always room for compromise. 👍

There's always room for compromise. 👍
Er … I think you’ll find that many people disagree! Neville Chamberlain (if he was still alive) for one!

Here we are, over 80 years since he thought there was “room for compromise”, and people still label his “compromise” as “appeasement”!

It is impossible to compromise with someone who doesn’t want to compromise!
:hat:

Er … I think you’ll find that many people disagree! Neville Chamberlain (if he was still alive) for one!

Here we are, over 80 years since he thought there was “room for compromise”, and people still label his “compromise” as “appeasement”!

It is impossible to compromise with someone who doesn’t want to compromise!

I mean, to be fair whilst I didn't say it, I was talking about politicians on the democratic spectrum, there is no compromise with people such as Stalin, Hitler, Putin et al.

I mean, to be fair whilst I didn't say it, I was talking about politicians on the democratic spectrum, there is no compromise with people such as Stalin, Hitler, Putin et al.
Oh, sorry!

Please list the Tories who have compromised in the last forty years!

How about the one that said “This woman is not for turning!” and sent General Pinochet a bottle of whisky when he was arrested in the UK for murdering thousands of his own people.

Compromise? Sorry but once they profess to be a Tory they are usually way past “compromise”!

BTW, funnily enough many Tories have been “compromised”; which is something that they have denied vigorously until further evidence surfaced.

I cannot be alone in remembering Jonathan Aitken, a Tory Politician, demanding “The sword of truth!” before being destroyed by it!

Please see;

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2019/oct/04/margaret-thatcher-pinochet-chile-scotch-malt-whisky
and

https://amp.theguardian.com/theguar...og/2011/jun/06/newspapers-national-newspapers
Enjoy!

Back