League one and two football thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Braufather

Landlord.
Reaction score
Final couple of weeks of the season and I believe @pilgrimhudd @MickDundee @Mayor of Simpleton all follow lower league teams. Anyone one else?

How will it pan out?

As a gills fans I watched via ifollow what was probably of the worst games of football I can remember today. Decent gills crowd of over 8k (with just 50 ! away fans from fleetwood) Two ***** teams on the day. Before today I fancied us to stay up. But that was a hard watch. Not now. That performance sucked all the optimism out of me.

At the other end it’s tight. Plymouth have a tough run in. Will Sunderland’s Tin pot tour be extended for yet another year?

Down below Swindon have a lot to do to even make the play offs.

Any other long (or short )suffering lower league fans out there?

At the other end it’s tight. Plymouth have a tough run in. Will Sunderland’s Tin pot tour be extended for yet another year?
Incredibly frustrating for us lately. Unbeaten in 10 and top of the form guide but could still fall out of the playoff places tonight if Sheffield Wednesday win. It’s very tight between us, Plymouth, Wycombe and Wednesday for those last 3 play off spots! Our one saving Grace is the game in hand we have over Wycombe and Plymouth, but games in hand don’t always turn into points as we’ve found out just about every season we’ve been down here!

We pretty much threw 3 games away taking so long to appoint a manager.

Last edited:
I think we, Swindon Town, have too much to do to make the league 2 play off places. We contrived to lose against a 10 man Leyton Orient yesterday. Truth be told we could still be playing them now and not have found a way through a 10 man defence.

Our wafer thin squad with only one striker and no depth has bitten us when it matters. That, and our abysmal home form. It's a shame because league 2 is utter garbage.

I think the FGR and Exeter in League 2 are fairly set to go up. There is one auto and the play off places to be decided. Sadly, I don't think we have enough about us to be involved. We need to win our last 4.

Good thread @Braufather.

I think we, Swindon Town, have too much to do to make the league 2 play off places. We contrived to lose against a 10 man Leyton Orient yesterday. Truth be told we could still be playing them now and not have found a way through a 10 man defence.

Our wafer thin squad with only one striker and no depth has bitten us when it matters. That, and our abysmal home form. It's a shame because league 2 is utter garbage.

I think the FGR and Exeter in League 2 are fairly set to go up. There is one auto and the play off places to be decided. Sadly, I don't think we have enough about us to be involved. We need to win our last 4.

Good thread @Braufather.

Ahh yes I forgot to mention about how Argyle need to go up, if only just to get away from Exeter.

Ahh yes I forgot to mention about how Argyle need to go up, if only just to get away from Exeter.

You listened to David Earl's podcast on starting to support Exeter City this past year? Probably not, given who you support? It's very good though.

There is a smattering of talk about Gillingham and how dreadful this season has been, as Joe Wilkinson follows them.

Leeds fan here and S1tt1ng myself we just can not get out of this injury problem. The latest is that the new management blamed Bielsa for overtraining the players and that's what has caused the injury issues

Final couple of weeks of the season and I believe @pilgrimhudd @MickDundee @Mayor of Simpleton all follow lower league teams. Anyone one else?

How will it pan out?

As a gills fans I watched via ifollow what was probably of the worst games of football I can remember today. Decent gills crowd of over 8k (with just 50 ! away fans from fleetwood) Two ***** teams on the day. Before today I fancied us to stay up. But that was a hard watch. Not now. That performance sucked all the optimism out of me.

That was a bit of a 6 pointer for Gills. Looks like it's yourselves, Fleetwood and Morecambe battling it out to avoid the drop. At the other end it's 6 from 7 following the yellow lot from the other end of the A420's annual end of season capitulation.

Our inability to take points from sides higher up the league and to keep clean sheets will see us miss the playoffs for the first time in three seasons. Scoring hasn’t been a problem but stupid late goals have hurt us lately.
With no Championship football next season out fans are consigned to losing influential players who will be going upwards and onwards, for a nice fat free hopefully.
It would also be nice to have a ‘proper’ derby again soon rather than the mock M40
one. Wouldn’t you agree Mr Mayor.

Our inability to take points from sides higher up the league and to keep clean sheets will see us miss the playoffs for the first time in three seasons. Scoring hasn’t been a problem but stupid late goals have hurt us lately.
With no Championship football next season out fans are consigned to losing influential players who will be going upwards and onwards, for a nice fat free hopefully.
It would also be nice to have a ‘proper’ derby again soon rather than the mock M40
one. Wouldn’t you agree Mr Mayor.
100% @Theoriginalrich. I would love our derby back. Games against Bristol Rovers just aren't the same. How quickly it can happen - who knows. Like you, I think we will have another major rebuild in the summer as our better players won't want to be huffing around in League 2.

I was born in Liverpool into a very Red family so they are my first team, however, I grew up near Wigan and whilst I couldn’t afford tickets to Anfield very often, my high school was always given free tickets to Wigan Athletic so have followed them for quite a few years now. Started off at the old Springfield Park before moving to the playground of the gods (me and my pal tried to get that name to stick for the JJB/DW, sadly never did). Glad to see Latics looking pretty good for automatic promotion although it’s not done yet, just glad they are still going after all the shenanigans that nearly put them out of business recently.

I was born in Liverpool into a very Red family so they are my first team, however, I grew up near Wigan and whilst I couldn’t afford tickets to Anfield very often, my high school was always given free tickets to Wigan Athletic so have followed them for quite a few years now. Started off at the old Springfield Park before moving to the playground of the gods (me and my pal tried to get that name to stick for the JJB/DW, sadly never did). Glad to see Latics looking pretty good for automatic promotion although it’s not done yet, just glad they are still going after all the shenanigans that nearly put them out of business recently.
I don’t like Wigan, and in pre-season I was co conceded they were going down the Sunderland route of “let’s buy players who have been promoted before without actually knowing if they are any good” but they’ve done very well this season, even if they managed to lose to us 3 times 😂

You listened to David Earl's podcast on starting to support Exeter City this past year? Probably not, given who you support? It's very good though.

There is a smattering of talk about Gillingham and how dreadful this season has been, as Joe Wilkinson follows them.

That was a good podcast even if Joe got a few of his facts wrong on the 90s podcast. I need to give his own pod cast a listen.

And us. Our striker situation is horrendous - Ross Stewart has been overplayed and needs a rest, he looks a shadow of the player he was before Christmas; Broadhead has persistent hamstring problems and has been missing for weeks at a time throughout the season; and the less said about the re-signing of Defoe the better.

And us. Our striker situation is horrendous - Ross Stewart has been overplayed and needs a rest, he looks a shadow of the player he was before Christmas; Broadhead has persistent hamstring problems and has been missing for weeks at a time throughout the season; and the less said about the re-signing of Defoe the better.

Thank god he didn’t sign for us.

Further to above, I have since moved to Scotland so haven’t really had a chance to see any Wigan games live for ages. Stenhousemuir is my local team, currently in League 2, a point off the playoff spots.
Things are getting interesting here on the east coast as well. Arbroath are currently 2nd in the Championship, a point behind leaders Kilmarnock, whereas Dundee are bottom of the Premiership.

It’s very possible that next season little Arbroath could be a top flight club whilst Dundee play in the division below. If St Johnstone go down through the play offs as well, then Arbroath will be the second highest ranked club in Tayside 😂

Arbroath are currently 2nd in the Championship, a point behind leaders Kilmarnock, whereas Dundee are bottom of the Premiership.

Yasssssss! Would be a beautiful thing to see Arbroath in the top flight and The Dees relegated.

Speaking of which, Gayfield is the coldest stadium/place on earth.

Latest posts

Back