League one and two football thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
From what I gather it’s about a man United fan used to finer footballing things in life relocating to Devon and choosing a team to follow and subsequent culture shock. Full of anecdotes that will resonate with us I’m hoping.

Well I will be joining this conversation next year, Derby County supporter.
Mind you it will be only for the one season.🙈

There’s some very good sides in league one. Some who think their position should be better because they have have more fans and they are ‘big’ clubs but the truth is our teams are in this league on merit and the way the clubs are run from top to bottom.
It is becoming a very hard league to progress from with more sides with more money bringing in championship quality players in the hope of promotion.
It’s going to be a very exciting couple of weeks.
Good luck all and
COME IN YOU YELLOWS!

Some who think their position should be better because they have have more fans and they are ‘big’ clubs but the truth is our teams are in this league on merit and the way the clubs are run from top to bottom.
I think this bit in bold pretty much sums it up. It’s mainly well run small clubs (Wycombe, Plymouth, Rotherham) and badly run big clubs (Sheff Wed, us) that are fighting it out for the playoffs/promotion this season, and it’s pretty much the same every year.

Past few seasons we’ve seen Luton, Barnsley, Lincoln and Peterborough from the former category and Portsmouth, Coventry, us and Charlton from the latter all either promoted or in the playoff final.

I think this bit in bold pretty much sums it up. It’s mainly well run small clubs (Wycombe, Plymouth, Rotherham) and badly run big clubs (Sheff Wed, us) that are fighting it out for the playoffs/promotion this season, and it’s pretty much the same every year.

Past few seasons we’ve seen Luton, Barnsley, Lincoln and Peterborough from the former category and Portsmouth, Coventry, us and Charlton from the latter all either promoted or in the playoff final.
And my team, Blackpool, with a little help from Neil Embleton. athumb.. :groupdancing:

It's a rollercoaster ride, it really is, following us. We've out performed the two automatic promotion sides this season, and spent very little, so it's not all about money. I love the p[lay off games, the ones we are not involved in, I'll get the popcorn in soon. Good luck to all involved. I feel sad for Scunthorpe, there but for the grace of god. And looking like Oldham. We need some proper regulation of football clubs, I feel.

I feel sad for Scunthorpe, there but for the grace of god. And looking like Oldham.
Me too. And the notts counties chesterfields Southends etc Proper community clubs with good fan bases and league(all be it lower) pedigree.

Too many smaller clubs bankrolled into the league with no fan base. Any of those teams above would have brought at least a thousand for a relegation 6 pointer v us on Saturday. Instead Fleetwood brought 50.

If they got to where they by merit hats off! but they didn’t, they have a playing budget far above ours because of a sugar daddy.

Yep. I feel sorry for Scunthorpe - shocking running of football club by the owners I also feel sorry for Oldham as a club. Again, shocking ownership. However, it's a double edged sword there as I hope John Sheridan gets relegated out of the league never to surface again. Awful, awful manager. Along with our previous owner he happily ran our club into the ground.

Me too. And the notts counties chesterfields Southends etc Proper community clubs with good fan bases and league(all be it lower) pedigree.

Too many smaller clubs bankrolled into the league with no fan base. Any of those teams above would have brought at least a thousand for a relegation 6 pointer v us on Saturday. Instead Fleetwood brought 50.

If they got to where they by merit hats off! but they didn’t, they have a playing budget far above ours because of a sugar daddy.
I agree. Andy Pilley, Blackpool fan who failed to buy Blackpool so bought Fleetwood instead! Same happened with AFC Fylde. But clubs like Chelsea and Man City have had similar sugar daddy injections I guess. Quite a few clubs. At least they have fanbases though. I think clubs with fans float back to the surface eventually though, as Stockport are doing, and Wrexham. And Fleetwood and Fylde will fade away, they are not sustainable.

I might be wrong but I think Stockport and Wrexham are both pretty heavily backed financially. You are right though, both have a strong fanbase. I would happily wave goodbye to the likes of Salford, Fleetwood and FGR though. It can't be sustainable for the owners in the long term. Salford brought less than 100 fans to our place if I recall correctly.

I might be wrong but I think Stockport and Wrexham are both pretty heavily backed financially. You are right though, both have a strong fanbase. I would happily wave goodbye to the likes of Salford, Fleetwood and FGR though. It can't be sustainable for the owners in the long term. Salford brought less than 100 fans to our place if I recall correctly.
Yes Stockport and Wrexham are getting some financial support now, but not crazy money I think, and the fanbases will have attracted the people investing, I guess. I went to a Salford home game early in the season and there weren't many there.

Yes Stockport and Wrexham are getting some financial support now, but not crazy money I think, and the fanbases will have attracted the people investing, I guess.
Wrexham have been throwing the money around a bit - signed Paul Mullin in the summer who was Cambridge’s top scorer when they were promoted from L2 last season. He wouldn’t be dropping 2 divisions if it wasn’t financially worthwhile. They also signed Calum McFadzean from Crewe in January, who was playing semi-regularly for us last season (out of necessity rather than choice/ability mind), so reckon his wages will be decent.

Interesting fact is that Rob McElheney (Wrexham co-owner) was inspired to invest in a football club after watching Sunderland ‘Til I Die on Netflix.

Last edited:
They also put a bid in for our top scorer. I don’t mind Wrexham as a club but that’s not sustainable. when their Hollywood owners get board and move on where will that leave them.

They also put a bid in for our top scorer. I don’t mind Wrexham as a club but that’s not sustainable. when their Hollywood owners get board and move on where will that leave them.
Back in the EFL with good attendances probably! They are the best of 6 clubs in the National League with very good average attendances, who all belong in the EFL based on their support.

1 Wrexham 8,543
2 Notts County 6,867
3 Stockport County 6,751
4 Chesterfield 6,177
5 Southend United 5,834
6 Grimsby Town 5,646

7 Woking 2,691
8 Torquay United 2,573
9 Eastleigh 2,459
10 Yeovil Town 2,354

I’ve noticed very healthy attendees there from ex league clubs all season. Especially impressive from the ones that haven’t been bankrolled. Many are getting more than they did when they were in the league!

I think getting bored can be levelled at any football club owner. Your point is valid - how sustainable is it when they move on and someone else is left to pick up the bills. Players like Mullin et al and a manger like Phil Parkinson won't come cheap and I expect Wrexham's wage bill is pretty eye watering.

To @clib 's point, those attendances wouldn't look out of place in League 1 or 2. To put in perspective, our average attendance in League 2 is only 1000 or so more than Wrexhams at 9600ish.

I think getting bored can be levelled at any football club owner. Your point is valid - how sustainable is it when they move on and someone else is left to pick up the bills. Players like Mullin et al and a manger like Phil Parkinson won't come cheap and I expect Wrexham's wage bill is pretty eye watering.

To @clib 's point, those attendances wouldn't look out of place in League 1 or 2. To put in perspective, our average attendance in League 2 is only 1000 or so more than Wrexhams at 9600ish.
Even L1 this season only has 8 teams who have averaged over 10k this season, and there are 7 teams averaging under 5k.

I think I we sneak into that under 5j this this season. There has been a growing apathy and disillusionment at Gills over recent history with a section not happy with Paul Scally. However getting Neil Harris in as manager was a bit of a coup and selling out all the home section v fleetwood shows we may have turned a corner.

I think for a few years scally paid himself a bit too much out the club he owns whilst our manager was bemoaning our player budget being one of the lowest in the league. This rattled many but hopefully they will start coming back if he backs Neil Harris.

Well none you have it as bad as me ATM. I’m a Wimbledon fan, 26 games without a win. Most people didn’t have their Xmas trees up last time we won..

Although a couple of new grounds to visit in league 2 next year.

Well none you have it as bad as me ATM. I’m a Wimbledon fan, 26 games without a win. Most people didn’t have their Xmas trees up last time we won..

The new plough lane will be another ground to tick off next season. 26 games without a win - that must be trying your patience and health

Don’t give up yet. If you beat Fleetwood momentum could see you beat Accrington.

That is a shocking record though! Feel for you. I hope you stay up as long as it’s not at our expense but the bookies seem to think well both be playing each other in league two next year.

Latest posts

Back