League one and two football thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think getting bored can be levelled at any football club owner. Your point is valid - how sustainable is it when they move on and someone else is left to pick up the bills. Players like Mullin et al and a manger like Phil Parkinson won't come cheap and I expect Wrexham's wage bill is pretty eye watering.

To @clib 's point, those attendances wouldn't look out of place in League 1 or 2. To put in perspective, our average attendance in League 2 is only 1000 or so more than Wrexhams at 9600ish.
9600 is very high for League 2. It's high for L1.

Well none you have it as bad as me ATM. I’m a Wimbledon fan, 26 games without a win. Most people didn’t have their Xmas trees up last time we won..

Although a couple of new grounds to visit in league 2 next year.
That's grim, and I didn't really see it coming, from afar. I went to Plough Lane a few times in the 80s, staying in Earlsfield on and off, and really enjoyed it. One of the maddest games I ever saw was a 6-4 extra time cup win over Southend, played in torrential rain.

I hope you get the win this weekend, and the points to stay up.

There's only 4 teams in L2 averaging over 6k and none of them are in an automatic promotion place and only two, Bristol R and Tranmere, are in the play off positions. The two best supported clubs are outside the play offs, Bradford and Swindon. Some under-achieving going on. I know Swindon has had its issues recently, but what has kept Bradford down there for so long?

Those top 6 in the National League would compete well in L2 I think - I'm not sure the gap between those 2 leagues is that great? I'd expect Stockport to push for promotion to L1 next season, I think.

The lose to Crewe on Friday sealed it. Gifted them their win. They had lost the previous 16 games and lost on Monday. Was up there with the worst game I’ve been to. Mathematics don’t come in to it, we’re gone. Been a shocking few months.

That's grim, and I didn't really see it coming, from afar. I went to Plough Lane a few times in the 80s, staying in Earlsfield on and off, and really enjoyed it. One of the maddest games I ever saw was a 6-4 extra time cup win over Southend, played in torrential rain.

I hope you get the win this weekend, and the points to stay up.
Thanks mate. I can’t see it.
Nausing it up at the new ground is a bitter pill to swallow also. Most games a sell out (even on this run), seemed to of attracted a load of new faces, will they turn up for L2.

Thanks mate. I can’t see it.
Nausing it up at the new ground is a bitter pill to swallow also. Most games a sell out (even on this run), seemed to of attracted a load of new faces, will they turn up for L2.
It's a real shocker after moving into the new stadium after Covid, for this to happen. What do you think has gone wrong?

It's a real shocker after moving into the new stadium after Covid, for this to happen. What do you think has gone wrong?
Wish I knew exactly.

Youth manager took over end of last season and turned us in to a decent young attacking team. Great start to this season, new stadium, life is rosy.
Then get found out or run out of momentum and no experience to change things. None of the coaching staff had played professionally.

Also as fan owned/run, not a great deal of football professionals involved in the club. Still non-league in a lot of aspects.

My home-town team is the Posh, and despite some recent good results, I think they're screwed this season.

My home-town team is the Posh, and despite some recent good results, I think they're screwed this season.
Good form in recent weeks, but too late, I fear. It's really frustrating when your team eventually adapts to a higher level, but too late to prevent the drop.

Good form in recent weeks, but too late, I fear. It's really frustrating when your team eventually adapts to a higher level, but too late to prevent the drop.

I like the Peterborough set up. Their chairman invests but doesn’t throw money away. Looks to buy up and coming talent and get a return when they move on. It’s model worth following.

I like the Peterborough set up. Their chairman invests but doesn’t throw money away. Looks to buy up and coming talent and get a return when they move on. It’s model worth following.
I agree. Posh must have a good scouting set up. They seem to regularly unearth a few rough diamonds; particularly strikers.

Wish I knew exactly.

Youth manager took over end of last season and turned us in to a decent young attacking team. Great start to this season, new stadium, life is rosy.
Then get found out or run out of momentum and no experience to change things. None of the coaching staff had played professionally.

Also as fan owned/run, not a great deal of football professionals involved in the club. Still non-league in a lot of aspects.
Yes, sounds like some expertise is needed. And I'm guessing the funds just don't allow much. Promoting a youth coach, not employing any experience to guide etc. I think this is why some criticise fan ownership of this type, it means you are struggling to fund an expensive operation and compete with clubs that have investors. Rochdale has a similar set up I think. It might work better if the EFL supervised the overspending of some clubs a lot better, I think. Create a more level playing field.

Good luck today everyone, especially @Gggsss . Hope you can do us both a favour today Or at least draw.

Gutting to concede in first half injury time especially after 90 seconds when only one minute was called and the ball was in play all that minute. On 80 seconds it was midfield. Drysdale a ***** ref

Last edited:

Yeah they're done that for years, That lad Toney at Brentford is ex-Posh.

Latest posts

Back