League one and two football thread

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just saw Neil Harris's interview after Gills relegation. Crikey - he didn't hold back on the state of the football club. Sounds like a big rebuild over the summer.

and I can’t remember the last time just 40 points was enough to stay up. League one is almost two leagues in one.
TBF I think the whole 40 points thing is just for the 38 game seasons, over 46 games it’s more like 50 points.

Interesting fact - in 1996/97, Sunderland became the first team to be relegated with 40 points in the 38 game season era, then the following season we set the record for having the most points of a team that didn’t get promoted.

I just saw Neil Harris's interview after Gills relegation. Crikey - he didn't hold back on the state of the football club. Sounds like a big rebuild over the summer.

Luckily most of the players out of contract so a a bit of a blank canvas. A lot of the mess is blamed on Steve Evans but scally sanctioned his methods and no one was was complaining with two top 10 finishes, It was a risky policy going for quality instead if quantity, especially when the quality on our budget meant they came with fitness or a history of injuries. Hence injury crisis in a tiny squad This season And games with just 3 players on the bench at times.

Neil seems like a much needed breath of fresh air and if scally backs him, keeps the promises that brought him here, there is a lot of reasons for optimism going forward.

TBF I think the whole 40 points thing is just for the 38 game seasons, over 46 games it’s more like 50 points.

that’s kind of what I meant. Normally 50 points is needed but teams at the bottom are so poor this season only 40 was needed. Whereas at the top it’s the opposite, Plymouth (and oxford ) would usually easily be in the play offs but competition is so tough at the top they both lost out.

For the past three seasons we’ve increased our points tally. Disappointed not to make the playoffs but league one has been ultra competitive this season.
I suppose Plymouth’s run in caught up with them, I was shocked by the score line but when MK play they play.
KR is talking about being ruthless during the summer with transfers and getting done early but he does say that every year. After missing out this year I’m hoping for a good summer and better stuff next season.
Onwards and upwards.

We (argyle) should have been 2 up in the first 10 minutes, they hit us with an against the run of play free kick and the wheels came off. Unfortunately we are a team that runs on confidence and fall apart when things arent going right. Our run in was tough though and we had five first teamers out for the final game against mk. Oh well....

Set up quite nicely. Can see both MK Dons and Wednesday giving it a good go in the second leg.

Amazing day in League 2 yesterday. FGR snatched the league title after Exeter lost at home. Somehow the Gas ended up third after putting 7 past Scunthorpe and overturning the goal difference to Northampton. Play offs for them, Mansfield, Port Vale and us. We won our 4th game on the spin 3-0 at Walsall. Fantastic day out. Vale next in the play offs.

Looks like you’ve momentum going into the play offs.

Scunthorpe playing kids and a 17 year old debut in goal has understandably really ****** off Northampton fans

So, after a short break, it all starts again this weekend. How is everyone feeling ahead of the new season. Confident or pessimistic? After another close season clear out and rebuild with a managerial and philosophy change to boot, I have no idea whether we will be any good or also rans. It will depend on whether the new signings compare well with the players we lost. We seem to have more depth to the squad this time around - ultimately the lack of decent options from the bench did for us last year. Hopefully we can challenge but time will tell.

It’s been 10 years since the Gills where ta this level and it seems to have changed a bit with a a fare bit of money flowing about so not sure how we will fair. We are still 4 players short of where we need to be so expecting a slow start.
That said in bomber we have a very decent manager so there is cautious optimism and we’ll be taking 1200 or to the opener at the wombles. I’ll be getting over for our first home game the following week. I was hoping to make the swindon game ( always interesting) on the 3rd instead but will be on holiday.

I’ll predict a slow start for us but kick on after jan and maybe nick. 6th or 7th spot.

League 1 & 2 fixtures -

*Barrow away at Stockport county.

*my local team

lg1.JPG
lg2.JPG

A lot of pressure on Derby County this season. Everyone expecting them to be go straight back up. But look at Sunderland how long did it take them to get back to the championship. It will take time for the players to gel but one thing's for sure the dcfc fans will be right behind them and sell out their away allocation for most games.

A lot of pressure on Derby County this season. Everyone expecting them to be go straight back up. But look at Sunderland how long did it take them to get back to the championship. It will take time for the players to gel but one thing's for sure the dcfc fans will be right behind them and sell out their away allocation for most games.

charlton, Ipswich and Pompey have also been finding it hard to get out. Tough league these days.

I am not sure where the pressure on DC is coming from. They were a basket case until a couple of weeks ago. (A lot of that could have been avoided had a competent administrator been in place). League one is tough to get out of - there are some big hitters there.

Back