Leaking pressure barrel cap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stinkydog

Reaction score
I have a barrel cap that is charged with the small co2 capsules and it leaks pressure badly I have rubber washers on both sides of the cap and I have tightened it with spanners , I can hear it leaking gas and I only get 1 pints worth of pressure from 1 capsule , any thoughts ? I am considering bottling the rest but I am about 2 thirds of the way through the barrel and on my 2nd box of capsules .I don't know why it's not holding pressure, I will try to get a picture up of the set up .Any suggestions much appreciated, by the way it's a recipe of theakstons old peculiar which I am very pleased with.

I have a barrel cap that is charged with the small co2 capsules and it leaks pressure badly I have rubber washers on both sides of the cap and I have tightened it with spanners , I can hear it leaking gas and I only get 1 pints worth of pressure from 1 capsule , any thoughts ? I am considering bottling the rest but I am about 2 thirds of the way through the barrel and on my 2nd box of capsules .I don't know why it's not holding pressure, I will try to get a picture up of the set up .Any suggestions much appreciated, by the way it's a recipe of theakstons old peculiar which I am very pleased with.
Just brewed some Old Peculiar myself, conditioning at the moment

I struggled with pressure barrels for some while and eventually gave up on them, but some people seem to make them work

Have you put Vaseline on all the seals? - this helps seal them

I did put Vaseline around the joints. I have enjoyed the old peculiar despite the leaking cap

If you haven’t already, you might find this thread some help..

https://www.thehomebrewforum.co.uk/threads/pressure-barrels-more-than-you-wanted-to-know.89344/
Have you sprayed the cap with some soapy water after you’ve pressurised the barrel? Bubbles will indicate where your leak is. My guess is the rubber bands on the gas connector in the cap, either the pressure relief band on the top or the non-return rubber band under the cap or both :laugh8:. Soapy water will show you. Good luck!

Back