Leaking spigot again!

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bashley

Reaction score
Hi All

I was cleaning my secondary yesterday in preparation for batch priming this weekend. I saw a video a while back of a guy dismantling and cleaning all parts of the spigot. So I tried, went well but the main section (see photo) would not budge. So I tried using a kitchen knife, still no luck. I gave up, left it as it was and filled up the 2nd FV with PBW and noticed that the spigot was leaking from exactly that spot. There's no way for me to order one in time so I was wondering if anyone has any advice? It's not leaking very much at all (hardly noticed a change in level of PBW when I woke this morning) so I imagine during transfer from 1st to 2nd FV wouldn't be affected too much but just wondering if it might pose problems with contamination or maybe to much oxygen. I don't know, this is my first ever brew.
Thanks for any help!

Attachments

• 51dwgKOir+L._SY463_.jpg
    51dwgKOir+L._SY463_.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 40
Easy. Don't bother with secondary at all. They're not recommended any more unless you have a defined need. For the future you can replace that twist tap with one of the lever spring press types. They're designed to be unscrewed and cleaned without damaging the liquid seal.

I'd love to not go to secondary but some leakage happened when I started this brew. Spigot was not tight enough and I'm afraid that the wort thats in there will infect the beer as it passes through the wand to the bottles. Can't go to wilkos, I now live in France! :)

You may have separated it a bit with the knife. Give it a bang to get it to seat back together again..
To separate, clamp in a vice and give it a bag with a socket extension from the inside.
There is a double seal and you can get crud between them.

You may have separated it a bit with the knife. Give it a bang to get it to seat back together again..
To separate, clamp in a vice and give it a bag with a socket extension from the inside.
There is a double seal and you can get crud between them.
Just tried banging it. Definitely better but still leaks ever so slightly. Would it be ok to put some silicone on this joint for the time being?

Just tried banging it. Definitely better but still leaks ever so slightly. Would it be ok to put some silicone on this joint for the time being?
Vaseline would be more hygenic and food safe. Not sure what the stuff is that they put in silicone sealant to make it dry but it can stink. IMHO neither would resist the pressure of the beer wanting to leak through though.

Back