Leaking tap on keg whilst brew conditioning

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CornishGreen

Reaction score
Help! Having returned from holiday, I checked two brews that were keyed a fornight ago into bog standard plastic kegs. One is fine, but I noticed a slight leak below the tap on the second, which has been used twice previously without issue. There was no leak at the time, so I just tightened the tap a little and the brew started to leak again from a tiny hole around the black rubber seal of the tab. I gently moved the keg onto its side so that no liquid was escaping and tried to seal around the rubber, but the pressure forced the Vaseline out of the way. I've released a little gas from the tab and reapplied Vaseline, but am wondering what my options are.

Will this brew be OK? Can I simply release the pressure and replace the tap with a new one? Will the brew be completely flat? Will I need to add a little more sugar?

Incidentally I kegged 17 out of 23 litres of a St Peters Ruby Red kit with 80grams of brewing sugar. The second brew in the other keg was a similar volume, similar amount of sugar in an identical keg.

I'd be grateful for any suggestions on whether this brew is salvageable and if so, how? Thanks!

I had the same problem twice now I managed to transfer the brew to another keg and all was fine,this last one I released some pressure and my leak stopped thankfully. You could transfer to FV then replace the rubber seal then transfer back to the barrel,don't forget to sterilise everything first. I didn't add any more sugar just topped up with a little gas,then I drank this beer first and it seemed ok to me. Some other experienced brewers may give you some better ideas how to salvage the brew,hope this helps good luck the the brew.

Thr ad exactly the same problem with two of my budget kegs. I did the same as you, released the pressure first and then tipped it on its side removed the tap which had split on the threads. I replaced the tap with a new one which was Vaselined and PTFE tape put on the threads. I then placed in a warm place for 2 days before moving to a cooler place. This appeared to have done the trick. Boh kegs of beer saved pressure built up again and the taste is great. Hope this helps.

One of mine leaks, I'm hoping its just overpressure, however I'm probably gonna need a new tap (or accept a tiny amount of leakage)

Latest posts

Back