Leaking tap

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Broomie14

Reaction score
So i started a brew today and have noticed a slight leak from the tap, i have the last couple of nights had water sitting in it with out any leakage but now I have my brew in it it does, iv closed the tap but not pushed it too far as in fear that could start opening it again as I work with valves at work and experience this all the time. Its a brand new kit i cant see where the leak is as its so minute. So my question is will this affect the brew ???

So my question is will this affect the brew ???
Yes, it'll keep leaking until there's not enough pressure to force it out. If you added priming sugar and it hasn't been in there long it'll keep dripping until it's almost flat again.

I take it the leak is from a tap on your fermentation vessel, if so have you sealed the thread correctly? Id suggest using petroleum jelly on the thread before filling to make it gas tight.

As you don't want to disturb the beer whilst fermenting try smearing it on the outside of the joint and hopefully it will create a better seal.

I take it the leak is from a tap on your fermentation vessel, if so have you sealed the thread correctly? Id suggest using petroleum jelly on the thread before filling to make it gas tight.

As you don't want to disturb the beer whilst fermenting try smearing it on the outside of the joint and hopefully it will create a better seal.
Im going to check it soon but i dont think its coming from the seal/threads its the actuall tap now i did use the tap to take a sample for my hydrometer wonder if it could be left over product in their

Im going to check it soon but i dont think its coming from the seal/threads its the actuall tap now i did use the tap to take a sample for my hydrometer wonder if it could be left over product in their
If it is and you can't stop it leaking I'd give it a smear of PJ in the spigot, wrap on cling film and then rubber bands. Not much is getting past that.

Latest posts

Back