Leaky kegs

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well this thread has been diverse but superbly educational (to me especially)

Just to complete the circle - my Wherry has returned to looking great - glossy - shiny and it tastes good too

I wondered following on from HBs advice reply #30 above if anyone has actually "suffered" from Chill Haze with Wherry or Admirals reserve after putting it in a fridge or somewhere really cold and left it to see if it eventully cleared again

I really would like to put the Wherry or Reserve in a fridge at about 8 c but experience may say - dont do it

I had it in a mini keg at that temp. It was bright and clear. I have a hazy rye pale ale but it clears in the fridge, cloudy from the PB.

I keep my King Kegs in a fridge at 10 C. Cos I’m impatient the first pours (after 2 weeks of conditioning) are a little cloudy, but clear as it warms up (if it’s in the glass long enough). After a couple more weeks, it clears and is much brighter.

Hi Wherry!

First, taps. There are several types, I’ve pictured the two most commonly supplied. If you use the tap on the left you can forget my comment about using Vaseline on the tap.

View attachment 26538

If you have the tap on the right then a good smear of Vaseline is needed to stop the tap from constantly dripping. Pull the tap out of the body, a good smear of Vaseline, replace it, and wipe away the excess.

View attachment 26540

View attachment 26539

View attachment 26541

View attachment 26542

View attachment 26543
I noticed this on the Balliihoo site
https://www.balliihoo.co.uk/barrels...sories/spare-lever-tap-for-brown-cider-barrelSo for your info the black/white/red tap you have is intended as a cider barrel tap, and of course cider barrels are not intended to be pressurised so the taps may be more likely to leak in a pressure service.

After my last Youngs 2" cap PB became unserviceable last week someone has co-incidently given me an old 4" cap Hambleton Bard PB which I will be testing shortly.
It is fitted with a tap like this with a backing nut...
1591874140498.png

I have plenty of spare taps without the backing nut like this...
1591874220461.png

Does anyone know whether the tap without the backing nut (bottom picture) will work with the HB keg*, since I prefer it, but don't want to disturb the tap fitted to the PB in case it doesn't work and I lose the seal when I refit, given its 25 years old. And due to my experience with PBs I do not want to spend any money on it!!

* The taps without a backing nut are on a reducing thread and may not work with the threaded hole intended for a parallel threaded tap with a backing nut.

Latest posts

Back