Leave grains in beer during hop boil or not?

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moto748

Landlord.
Reaction score
Hi folks. I knew I had a log-in here...! :)

I've recently returned to brewing, using basically the same technique I used to use thirty-five years ago!

Skimming through some of the hi-tech and detailed recipes used by posters here, many of you guys are way beyond my level of expertise. But my simple methods have produced decent results in the past, and again now. I have (still!) one of the old galvanised Burco boilers. I mash my grains in that with the liquid. I retain the grain in a tube of stockingette (the stuff you buy from Halfords for polishing your car) with a knot in each end. After mashing, I add a similar tube of stockingette containing the hops and bring to the boil. I then dry-hop at the last minute too.

My question is, would I be better removing the grain and sparging before the hop boil, or is it OK to leave it all in there? I really cannot remember whether or not I removed the grains in the past. I don't think I did, but I'm not sure. Thus far I have produced 4 or 5 batches or beer and lager. I am generally pleased with the results, although the beer may take a little longer to fully clear than I remembered.

basically, my question is, am I encouraging a 'starch haze' which may be troublesome to clear by boiling up the grains after mashing, or am I worrying about nothing? Thanks in advance.

Yeah make sure you remove the grain before you boil. Otherwise you’ll extract harsh tannins from the husks 🍺

Grain out mate. After the mash they're spent and ready for the compost heap or a donation to a local farmer for pig feed.

Thanks guys! I will remove them in my next batch (probably sometime next week) and see how it goes. Although, as I say, results thus far have been pretty good, certainly no sign of 'harsh tannins' flavour or anything like that.

Back