LeeH's Stupid Water Treatment Questions.

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LeeH

Insert Witty Comment Here
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll have loads of water treatment questions as I dip my toe into this area instead if using the broad brush strokes of the Murphy's CRS and DWB recommendations.

My water and next recipe 👇

https://share.brewfather.app/uoT5A7f9t3Lboj
Capture.PNG
Capture1.PNG
Capture2.PNG

As you can see I cannot adjust the water with additions to reach the targets, so I will invest in an RO system.

If I dilute my water 1:1 I understand all the mineral content will reduce 50% but with RO this is not the case. Correct?

Do people cut thier water then get a 2nd water report done?

Last edited:
I use 3 stage ro filter to gather water and then target profile with chalk, gypsum, epsom salt, magnesium sulphate etc. Makes life real easy and brewfather does all the calculations for you and matches it to your inventory of same.
1612951779840.png
1612951814533.png

Hi yes I understand that, but did you test your RO water? Want is in it? Distilled has literally nothing in it but RO has I believe.

I cannot view your screen grab clearly but you have 3 which are red and out of tolerance.

Also your mash pH.

Last edited:
Hi yes I understand that, but did you test your RO water? Want is in it? Distilled has literally nothing in it but RO has I believe.

I cannot view your screen grab clearly but you have 3 which are red and out of tolerance.

Hi Lee,

RO water has nothing. If you dilute your tap water 1:1 with RO then all the numbers are halved.

Filter water has everything (apart from any sand/sediment). If your filter system incorporates a carbon filter it will also remove chlorine but the alkalinity and all the minerals, metals, etc. are all still there at the same level.

I did also do some testing...

You sparked my curiosity so I have just done some testing looking at alkalinity, calcium, TDS, and pH of my tap water, filter water and RO water. Results are:

TapFilterRO
Alkalinity2812810
Calcium1501500
TDS3283285
pH7.77.87.0

Admittedly my water filter is a pretty cheap one but what this tells me is that it’s doing no good at all in respect of water adjustment for brewing. It is removing the insoluble rubbish (I hope!) but is no good for brewing water.

Someone asked about rainwater so I tested that too...

I have the rainwater figures, drum roll please....

Alkalinity=16
Calcium=25
TDS=42
pH=6.4

This rainwater was collected directly in a clean jug so there was no runoff and no additional contaminants were introduced as a result.

What I can’t tell of course is whether there are any microbes or other beasties in the water. I imagine the mash/boil would see these off though?

Also, these figures are from one rainfall last night and on a different day the figures might be different?

This is where I must have seen the RO water profile. It suggest its not quite bare.

View attachment 41237

It does but these readings are low and my own readings are lower still. What we don’t know perhaps is how the reading were determined and whether the RO system used was higher throughput (so maybe allows just a little more impurities through?). I’m just guessing at this point but I think you can safely assume RO water has negligible minerals.

Its been 3 years since my last test to I'm going to get wallybrew from JBK to test both so I'll have a correct datum. Hes doing another run on the 18th. 28GBP.

I'm just curious if nothing else.

This is where I must have seen the RO water profile. It suggest its not quite bare.

View attachment 41237
As good as. water Chemistry outside a lab is never going to be precise but that does not matter, in close in the area of and that is fine. RO Water certainly looks crystal clear and tastes clear. If you are worried then buy distilled water instead.
1613037796729.png

View attachment 41237

I use these figures when doing my water, I range from 50/50 to 90/10 (ro/tap) depending on what beer I'm brewing and adjust the figures from Yorkshire Water accordingly. Seems to work for me mate.

Latest posts

Back