leffe nectar clone

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lagerlad

Reaction score
Hi folks
My beer of the moment is leffe nectar just wondering if anyone has tried to brew this or has any ideas for a recipe for the future cheers lagerlad

I know this thread is a couple of years old but.... I'm enjoying the Leffe Nectar and I'd luv to know how they get that honey sweetness. My wife keeps bees and I've brewed a beer with honey in it. It tasted dry and I've seen people write about this feature of brewing with honey. Anyone got and ideas. Do they pasteurise it, add honey then carb it?

Yeah brewing with honey is odd, because it's essentially just simple sugars it ferments out completely which might make the beer drier than expected. I did a braggot with 2kg of honey in 20 L, wort from grain was 1.030 then honey took it to 1.060. Safbrew T-58 took it down to 1.014, which has left it "sweet" part of that is also due to the hops, I only bittered to 10 IBUs for a preservative effect and also because I'd intended to add grape concentrate but chickened out after a few things went awry during the brew. The honey I used was a forest honey which is rich and malty rather than fruity or floral, as such it seemed to blend very well with the maris otter, vienna, victory grain bill so it's not overly noticeable, especially with the belgian character.

I plan to experiment further but I suspect you need to use a very strongly flavoured honey for it to come though in the beer and gain the sweetness from the malt bill/yeast, the combination of a sweeter, full-bodied beer with the honey flavour should give the result you and I want.

Mead has a similar issue, folks expect a sweet drink but often it ferments dry unless you overload the yeast with honey, wine yeast seems to cope with going to it's abv limit ok, from experiments with beer yeasts in mead they create some weird off flavours when pushed beyond their limits.

Latest posts

Back