Lengthy ferment tail

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ian notley

Reaction score
I'm trying a batch of Woodfordes Bure Gold - Its my 6th batch (up to now other Woodfordes recipes) so I'm still learning. Is it normal for the fermentation to go for so long (13 days) - the SG appears to have stabilised at 1012 (from 1043) but its still producing CO2, admittedly at a low rate?
I ask as my other brews were generally complete after 6-7 days, and I will put into mini-kegs and am keen not to have any accidents/create any pressure bombs. Is this a risk?
Incidentally I put in the Amarillo/Cascade hop pellets after 8 days.
The samples I have drawn off don't taste unusual (quite nice actually) and I cant see any evidence of infection.

Do you have it somewhere temperature controlled or just at ambient? It's potentially colder now so could take longer if the latter.

I leave anything I make for at least 14 days anyway so I wouldn't worry.

13 days isn't too long most on here would say it's normal. If the FG isn't changing from here on then transfer to a 2FV. I think that the yeast is the reason you've had fermentation completed I never use kit yeast.

Not controlled but it's been pretty static at 20-21c in a basement. I'll leave it a bit longer are recheck in a few days. Thanks.

13 days isn't too long most on here would say it's normal. If the FG isn't changing from here on then transfer to a 2FV. I think that the yeast is the reason you've had fermentation completed I never use kit yeast.

Thanks.

birthday coming up, sounds like I need to ask for more kit.

Basically its ready when its ready. Some beers can be done in 3 days, others 3 weeks.
You either wait for the airlock to stop bubbling or you make sure the SG has stabilised where it is supposed to be, and then a couple of days extra or longer if you feel the need

Even when it has finished fermenting, CO2 will still be slowly being released by your finished beer, hence the airlock activity. Personally I never use airlock activity as an indicator and always leave it a minimum of 2 weeks and then check the FG is stable.

Even when it has finished fermenting, CO2 will still be slowly being released by your finished beer, hence the airlock activity. Personally I never use airlock activity as an indicator and always leave it a minimum of 2 weeks and then check the FG is stable.
ok - sounds sensible. Will wait a full two weeks, check FG and bottle/keg. Thanks

I have just split a werry kit into 2 brews, 2 weeks in fv 4 day dry hop 3 day cold crash in the shed then into pb's with 100g of sugar, they are now lovly and clear ready for drinking at the weekend, I wouldn't worry to much acheers.

Latest posts

Back