Leon103's brew days

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Next up was a version of @dave_77 BIPL - That's a black west coast lager in new money. This is currently fermenting away at 10c. What it will turn out is anyone's guess.

Some major issues here. The two types of munich grains went in and then I started weighing up the pilsen malt, usually my bowl takes about 1kg of grain but it was full at around 700g, I thought it was odd but added the 5kg, eventually. Once done I thought my pilsen sack was more empty than it should be, I checked my inventory and yes, over 4kg out - ok, I have some spillages and a few grams go in that don't get counted but that was a massive loss. Pre-boil reading was 1.06 instead of 1.042 - ok we are in trouble here. Carafa 3 was added at mash out. After mashing I run a hose from the pump to pour the wort over and through the grains - but this stime I stupidly turned the pump off whilst the tube was submerged and it drew in a lot of wort and grain - pump blocked, didn't make how much I sucked or blew, it was stuck.

I let the brew run its course, adding some extra boil hops to brew the IBU up, knowing that I would be diluting at the end. OG taken and it was 1.08 with 25l left in the fermenter. The attached picture shows what I was aiming for, I had to add 12l to the fermenter to get it to a suitable OG of 1.054. 29.5l in the fermenter is most likely the most I have had in there. Luckily I have enough yeast and hops for the dry hop. My main worry is the colour will be lighter.

At least the transfer was easy. Somehow, during the boil the pump unblocked and I was able to whirlpool and transfer. The transfer was in record time due to the removal of the filter - see I do learn some lessons.

bipl.jpg

I think I really need to evaluate how I run these brew days, I tend to multi task which means cutting corners or not paying attention. One thing I need is a better scales, I will also be going back to pre-weighing the grains before brewday.

Time for a beer

Latest posts

Back