Lets use up the dregs (Recipe Idea)

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Frasermitch

Reaction score
Hi All,

Below is what i have left in the cupboard/freezer, any suggestions for a decent recipe? Don't really want order any more special malts due to the delays in lockdown.

Brew size can be anything from 15l to 23l.

I have recently done a cascade smash and a best bitter style, so ideally not that however i appreciate i am limited :)

I have us-04 and s-04 yeasts available.

1605788729190.png

TIA

Attachments

• 1605788499061.png
    1605788499061.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 51
How about a Sierra Nevada type clone?

95% MO
5% crystal

OG 1048
FG 1008

Cascade as only hop. Bitter to about 35 IBUs and then a late addition for flavour. Yeast US-05.

Not a bad idea, i have noticed that it is one of the most brewed on brewers friend.

Might be a little close to the cascade smash i have just kegged.

Not a bad idea, i have noticed that it is one of the most brewed on brewers friend.

Might be a little close to the cascade smash i have just kegged.
Yes true, quite close to your cascade smash. I do like the addition of crystal with the cascade. Quite partial to a Sierra Nevada and brew this one quite often.

English IPA? 90% MO, 5% crystal, 5% wheat. Challenger to bitter to 45/50 IBUs. EKG and fuggles for late addition and a dry hop?

American style wheat beer with cascade and US05? Or with some fruit? Raspberries perhaps?

You guys think a Scottish export will work? Like a 80 shilling?

All great suggestions above.

You guys think a Scottish export will work? Like a 80 shilling?

All great suggestions above.
My Scottish ales have always had a touch of amber malt and some roasted malt for colour which should provide some dry toasty flavours from the roast but you could brew a beer to around 1.050 with 5-10% of the 155ebc crystal malt and 5% of the 255ebc caramel malt then bitter to 20-25 IBU with any of your English hops, no late additions. I'll be paler than an 80/- normally is but should be a decent beer. Thinking about it, with no roast malts you could do 10% of the darker crystal and 5% of the lighter which might accommodate for that and give more of the darker caramel flavours.

Back