Levels of Difficulty

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WoodvilleBrewery

Reaction score
So far, I have mainly brewed IPAs, a stout and a porter. I found them relatively easy with good results and I've learned a lot throughout the process. I wondered if anyone knew of a list of beer styles arranged by level of difficulty (say: beginner, intermediate, expert). I want to up my game a bit by brewing something a little more challenging.

Any ideas welcome.

I really wouldn't say there is one. Style is irrelevant, the difficulty is elevating good results to exceptional results with whatever beer you are trying to brew. A bit like performance sports, it's the marginal gains through attention to small details that make the difference.

So far, I have mainly brewed IPAs, a stout and a porter. I found them relatively easy with good results and I've learned a lot throughout the process. I wondered if anyone knew of a list of beer styles arranged by level of difficulty (say: beginner, intermediate, expert). I want to up my game a bit by brewing something a little more challenging.

Any ideas welcome.

Maybe such a list exists but I would hazard a guess that it doesn't because almost any beer can be brewed at any level. There's countless ways to get to similar results. The difficulty comes from getting into the nitty gritty at each stage, water treatment and pH, using different maltsters/malts and crushing your own, yeast propagation, having control of fermentation temps, packaging i.e. cornie kegs, bottling etc.

Saying that, lager is always quoted as being a difficult style to reproduce well because it's quite neutral/clean so mistakes will have less to hide behind.

Brewing Classic Styles by JZ has all the categories (the old pre-2015 BJCP categories that is) arranged into 3 groups by effort, which isn't necessarily what you asked for but might help:

UT5PBBH.jpg

bZ8lme6.jpg
2hpwjIS.jpg

It;s an interesting question. My experience is that stouts are most forgiving and Pilsners the most difficult to get right. But that's not to say the AG brewing process is any more difficult unless you go for double or triple decoction, it's rather getting exactly the right ingredients and having more control over the mash, fermentation and conditioning parameters for the lighter beers.
Having made most styles (not milk-shake and sours) with good success, I'm still not happy that I've found the ideal bitter which is my Holy Grail. I've knocked up some interesting stuff on the way, though.

I'd agree a bitter is one to try at..
If you're basically happy with what you do fine. I tend to hit levels as my understanding exhausts...ie. too much too soon and my brain switches off! I like to get a process under control...being organised, cleaning, sanitation whatever as I feel you can't progress until you do as you don't concentrate in the right areas when you should.
My beers,to me,have changed for the best recently...I've experimented a bit with some different malts,tinkered with my kit and I think the best bit...tinkered with my water.
Keep notes!

Latest posts

Back