Lid blown off

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ClownPrince

Regular.
Reaction score
I know this is going to be a common question/thread on here, so sorry.
I brewed a Mangrove Jacks Lemon Sour Gose kit on Sunday with 1KG Light DME.
Woke up monday morning and i had a half inch or so of Krausen and a wee bulge in my fermentor lid (no airlock).
Got home from work on Monday and the lid had been pulled off and I had dried/drying foam all down the side of the fermentor.

How worried should i be about infection and/or oxidizing? I replaced the lid as soon as i could, but I had to keep opening it periodically through the evening as the lid was starting to bend into some strange shapes.
It's settled (ish) now and I don't think the lid will come off again, but i'm worried the damage has been done.

well you'll have co2 as a protective layer but the big issue would be if insects dropped into it for a drink.

myqul uses clingfilm I beleive as an alternative to a lid

I wouldn't be too worried as the beer is mid-fermentation so that's good. You'll be able to tell once it's finished.

As you saw, a lid snapped on won't work, if that's what I'm getting from your post. A bed sheet type material with a big rubber band is what I've heard being used in the old days. Still not ideal though.
You can drill a small hole, buy the rubber lid grommet that the air lock fits into for a very small price. Start the hole small or measure one at the brew store with the grommet removed so you get a good seal.

When a fermentation stared to ooze through the airlock the bloke in the LHBS (before it closed) suggested I just cracked the FV lid open a little , and covered that part of the FV with a clean towel, and allowed the yeasty krausen to escape through the gap, having made provision for the excess to drip onto a collecting tray. And it worked fine and when the krausen dropped back I just resealed the lid. And I repeated that method without any problems a couple of times.
I did try blow off tubes and collecting jars but did have blockages in the tube, so that is not the perfect solution to a vigorous fermentation with the desire to escape.

Latest posts

Back