Lid of FV buckling under fermentation

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Barley Rubble

Landlord.
Reaction score
The three 25 litre buckets I got to start my beer brewing adventure have the sealed type lids, i.e. no hole for airlocks. When I started the process of fermentation, after two days, the lids started to buckle as the gas had no where to escape. I rang a home brew shop and was told not to seal the lids, but to just rest them on the top of the buckets and this would sort out the buckling problem. I followed their advice, but I now think this may have been bad practice. Is it possible that all my beer may be undrinkable? I sincerely hope not!
Fingers crossed eh. Please remember to prey for me.
Barney.

Hi Barley

Think you'll be fine. Many large scale commercial breweries have open fermentation vessels. seal up the lids again and then just crack one side so that you can allow the excess to escape. Pour yourself a drink and wait... It'll be fine.

I don’t use airlocks, I place my lid on and snap it down for 3/4 of the way round leaving a small gap for CO2 to escape. Has worked for years with no problem.

Given I often don’t have any bubbling in my airlock, I doubt I have a compl seal haven’t had any issues with the beer brewed. While it has bedcome less common I believe their are still a fair few commercial breweries using open fermentation vessels.

you could always drill a hole in the lid, to fit an airlock if you wanted to.
Whilst not obligatory, it's quite nice to hear it bubbling away and gives good feedback on how the fermentation is going

Thanks for the tips guys. I have just brewed a Wilko Cerveza kit yesterday and this time only sealed the lid about two thirds the way around. Fermenting is in progress and no buckling!

you could always drill a hole in the lid, to fit an airlock if you wanted to.
Whilst not obligatory, it's quite nice to hear it bubbling away and gives good feedback on how the fermentation is going
Knowing my luck I would probably get the hole size wrong and there would be no seal in the bung, but thanks any way.

Latest posts

Back