LIDL Apple Press

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm tempted but I don't like the look of that white plastic collar that the threaded rod passes through in the pictures of the same press on Amazon. That can't be what transmits the pressure from the screw thread to the wooden pressure plates - can it? Surely there's a metal part that's female threaded somewhere - but where?

Can anybody who's got one of the Lidl ones or the apparently-identical Westwood-branded ones please explain how that part of it's actually made?

Looks like they may not be selling them now as the link shows -

Error 404
Whoops! Looks like we've slipped up...
The page you were looking for can’t be found – it may have been moved or deleted. Please try again or click here to return to the homepage.
404_Image_920x690.png

Not to worry - I've now realised that they're £30.99 delivered on Ebay, and £30.50 delivered from a mainland UK firm I've lost the link to.!

All that's stopping me blowing the dust off me wallet is the mystery of what that screw thread engages with. It seems to be plastic, but if that's the case, surely it won't last five minutes when you start piling the pressure on.

And the penny's finally dropped - I reckon this is one of those presses where the threaded rod goes right down to the baseplate, which means the bag you put inside must have a hole in the middle of its bottom (ooo-er missus!). If that's the case, the white plastic thingy is just a collar to guide the top block and I'm OK with that, so off now to find the wallet :)

Also remember that you're going to be pressing apples you'll need a way to chop them up small to maximize the amount of juice you extract.

You can get cheap scratters on eBay too 😉

And you'll always want a bigger press than the one you bought.

And more apples...

(Can't believe I sold a scratter a while back, just before I started making cider again)

Where do people get their apples? It would be very expensive buying supermarket apples in bulk. I can't find an orchard (in the highlands) near me.

Last edited:
Also remember that you're going to be pressing apples ...

Used to do that until we sold the scratter and the big press, but this tiddly little one is for The Lady Wife to press brambles in to make her bramble cordial, without which she allegedly can't get through the winter.

I ended up ordering her the 6 litre one off Ebay at £30.99 delivered that's the exact same one as Lidl are doing not delivered for £9 more :)

I made a scratter by converting a garden shredder. You can easily get the metal parts out and wash in soapy water and rinse, then spray with Starsan solution from a plant mister bottle. Post use, I strip the parts out and wash again, dry and store in sunflower oil until needed for the next scratting.

I use a large plastic trug, the type you might mix plaster in, to catch the scrat.

The scratted material I press using cheeses wrapped in muslin. I cut the top off a bucket to give me something to form the cheeses in to give me consistent depth.

I use a cross beam press and a 6 ton bottle jack. The muslin cheeses are separated by boards made from 25mm marine ply.

The bottom board has a block in the middle and a wooden surround, that have been screwed together from underneath and sealed with food grade silicon sealant. In the corner of the base board there is an adapted sink waste to allow the juice to drain directly into my fermenting vessels.

I get around 1 litre of juice per 2kg of apples.

I get easily scrat 100kg of apples an hour. It‘s the making of the cheeses that slows down the process.

I‘ve tried a small fruit press and found this very slow for the quantity of apples that I can get.

The whole system cost me around £100

I’ve made over 500 litres of cider this way.

Current cost 20p / litre and declining this Autumn.

Personal labour not costed.

There are YouTube vids of similar set ups.

Latest posts

Back