Lidl Green Gecko IPA

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Granny

Reaction score
A shot in the dark here guys but here goes...

Has anyone had Lidl’s Green Gecko IPA from Hatherwoods? I think it’s fantastic and really would like the recipe. It says on the bottle American hops but I have no idea which ones.

Can anyone help?
Cheers all.

I've had loads of it. The problem with the Hatherwood beers is that they're massively, massively variable. Even two bottles taken side by side. One can be borderline glorious, the other one mehhhh.

The same applies to the Purple Panther - sometimes it's incredibly cocoa like, other times just mildly chocolatey. The Gnarly Fox is the one I like most.

So green Gecko says US and New Zealand hops and citrus and some have described grapefruit in the taste, so I'm thinking maybe Pacific Jade and cascade. I'm only starting to dip my toe into this so expect better guesses than mine.

My understanding is that, like many Lidl / Aldi stuff, the brand is invented by the supermarket, and then produced under contract. I *think* Hatherwood was originally brewed by Marston's, but at some point Lidl switched production to Shepard Neme, as @Rodcx500z says.
Aldi sell an ale called Golden Ale and it's by Heatherwood which is Marsden and it tastes Just like 61Deep, lighter in texture than 61 however I'm guessing same hops and at a fraction of the price of 61 deep

Latest posts

Back