Lidl Greene King offer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MZonard

Reaction score
Ā£12.99 for 12 x 500ml bottles. Three each of Old Speckled Hen, Old Golden Hen, IPA and IPA Gold. Cheaper than home brew...šŸ™

I'm still calculating the cost of the equipment, water and power as well as ingredients and sundries (Star San, dextrose etc). It all adds up...

I'm still calculating the cost of the equipment, water and power as well as ingredients and sundries (Star San, dextrose etc). It all adds up...
Yeah, if you do a handful of brews then give up. If you brew for years the equipment costs add a negligible amount to your cost per pint. Even taking into account the hundreds I've spent on equipment in the last 5 years I reckon I'm at about 30p a pint. I also don't have to drink Greene King beers, which is an added bonus.

That made me curious, turns out I've brewed exactly 800 L of beer (fermenter volume) since getting my grainfather. That makes it 43p per pint at this stage.

I used to track cost per brew/bottle but gave up when I didn't really care anymore. Based on ingredients and extract for starters I was generally under a tenner for a 15L batch.

That doesn't include the stainless fermenter or the brew fridge or the sparge heater... :-)

Ā£12.99 for 12 x 500ml bottles. Three each of Old Speckled Hen, Old Golden Hen, IPA and IPA Gold. Cheaper than home brew...šŸ™

If the only reason you want to home brew is to save money give up now before you waste some on the equipment!

Our partners and families are actually very lucky.

We have a hobby which, like all hobbies, can consume cash for nice things. However, unlike most hobbies, this one produces a byproduct that we would otherwise probably purchase. Given that most hobbies don't do this, 100% of that cost is a massive saving, and our partners and families should applaud us heartily for it.

If that doesn't work, point out how much more witty and attractive we become after consuming said byproduct. I mean, it's win win for them. :laugh8: :laugh8:

Our partners and families are actually very lucky.

We have a hobby which, like all hobbies, can consume cash for nice things. However, unlike most hobbies, this one produces a byproduct that we would otherwise probably purchase. Given that most hobbies don't do this, 100% of that cost is a massive saving, and our partners and families should applaud us heartily for it.

If that doesn't work, point out how much more witty and attractive we become after consuming said byproduct. I mean, it's win win for them. :laugh8: :laugh8:
100% agree with this and you can stay in the car while swmbo goes shopping with get yourself a bottle of what you fancy ringing in her ears

I would maybe buy some if my stocks were low as you get a cheap beer AND a reusable bottle. But... don't those all come in clear bottles?

You can get the ubiquitous Banks bitter for 0.89p in Lidl too - brown bottles (500ml).
Or if you prefer the conical bottles - they have cider at a similar price - green bottles (1 pint)
although this years batch tastes rubbish.
Havn't seen the perry for a while - so I can't say get that in preference to the cider.

You can get the ubiquitous Banks bitter for 0.89p in Lidl too - brown bottles (500ml).
I drank gallons of Banks's when I was building up my bottle bank! For a beer that pretty much defines "bog standard" it's really not bad, and makes a lovely bitter shandy on a summer afternoon.

Latest posts

Back