Lightweight Summer stout

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

karakitten

Reaction score
My husband loves Stout & wonder if any recommendations for 1 during heatwave (?! ).. & not too heavy
In Autumn / Winter will do Beerworks Guineas Stout
Have tried Youngs Harvest & Simply Stouts (..he liked the Youngs ! ) & also both Coopers Stouts ( not so keen !! ) !
Any ideas welcome ..... !!
Will use either Spaymalt or LME !

My husband loves Stout & wonder if any recommendations for 1 during heatwave (?! ).. & not too heavy
Have tried Youngs Harvest & Simply Stouts (..he liked the Youngs ! ) & also both Coopers Stouts ( not so keen !! ) !
You could keep it less heavy by using brewing sugar or brew enhancer. Maybe try the Simply Stout. I haven't, but it seems to get good reviews.

Fascinated, KK. I love a stout, too and I wonder what you mean by heavy. The trick for me is to keep it rich, but not sweet and not strong, either. I recently made a drop, which I've called Guinness Extra Mild at 4.2% abv- just like draught Guinness, but miles tastier. It's really rich and belies its strength.
You've reminded me of something decades old. When I lived in Southampton, I used to wander down to the Waterloo Arms occasionally- not an easy trip by public transport- and drink Hopback Entire Stout. It must be at least 25 years and I'm going to look up my records and brew a batch. Lovely stuff!

Thanks ! By heavy he says means not too sickly rich ( ?! )
Will try the Youngs Harvest Stout again ... with a few tweaks
Dark Spraymalt etc....
Any malt extract recipes welcome for simple brewers !!!

Dark Spraymalt etc....
Malt adds richness and sweetness, sugar reduces it, so it's about getting the balance you want. A lot of lagers have corn or rice sugars to reduce the heaviness. A lot of Belgian beers have a proportion of sugar added too, and English beers, historically. Brewing sugar is corn sugar.

You can also choose yeast that reduces the heaviness of the beer. US05 will do this, in comparison with Windsor or S-33, for example.

Dark Spraymalt etc....
Good to know. I aim for "as rich as possible according to the strength".
In the meantime, if you prefer extract recipes, I'd definitely have a look at this book:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CloneBrews...=1&keywords=clone+brews&qid=1626721843&sr=8-5
I see there's a second-hand one going for about a fiver!
And there's no lack of stout recipes.

Many thanks all for info.
Will try the Youngs Harvest ( possibly ?) with modifications & then progress from there ..
May consider adding Lactose for a Milk Stout ( how much for 23 L ? as it varies on personal choice .. )
Brewing is a really enjoyable thing to do away from pressures of Covid-19 & my work !!

Latest posts

Back