Lime & Mint Beer

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mrobson

Reaction score
I'm thinking of making a nice summer drink, curious whether any one has brewed with either lime or mint and if so can I steal your recipe or would someone be so kind and give me a rough idea where to start?

Cheers

As the two are unfamiliar to you, the best way would be to steep lime zest and fresh mint in some vodka, then add and blend to taste into the fermented beer before bottling or kegging. Both could be added at the end of the boil.

Another option is hop selection, use a combination of hops with lime notes (Wai-iti and Citra have worked for me in the past) and Polaris has a distinctive mint note to it. Use late in the boil and as a dry hop.

Sent from my E5823 using Tapatalk

Can imagine a polo and beer would be rank..

Tried one of these last year when it was fresh, definitely had mint in, tasted lovely. Looking to make something similar.

Attachments

• untitled.png
    untitled.png
    65.2 KB · Views: 93
You could look for hops with those characteristics in their flavour profiles, I did a little bit of searching and Perle and Polaris seem worth looking at for mint. Lime is a little bit harder to find.

You could probably though add both lime and mint as extras, I’d probably look at the dry hop stage for mint. For lime you’ve probably got more options, there are some threads around on additions of grapefruit which would translate reasonably.

As for a base beer, probably something like a blond/pale ale with a neutral yeast character and not too much else going on is going to be the way to showcase the flavours. No idea if it would work, but it’s a good flavour combination so no reason to not try it in beer, good luck!

I've seen a recipe that used kaffir lime leaves added to a lager-like beer. I think they were torn up and added as a hop tea but can't really remember. I'm sure it said to use only 2 or 3 leaves in 20 litres as they are very strong.

I made a milk chocolate mint stout a few months ago and it went extremely fast, tasted of after eights. I grow mint in my parents' garden and added a lot of it to the boil, but none of that flavour came through. I added 8 drops of peppermint extract to my beer before bottling. Gave it a gentle stir. Mint was very powerful, I'd probably only do 7 drops in future.

I've not added lime before, but I have added grapefruit by soaking 60g of peel in vodka for several days. I poured the vodka into the beer before bottling, gave it a gentle stir. The grapefruit flavours have come out maybe a month or so from bottling. If I were to make a lime beer, I would do the same.

Ordered 50g of Perle & Sorachi Ace along with 100g of Galena. Just need to figure out a schedule for these and I can order plenty of fresh mint and limes through work.

Looking forward to the outcome!

Anyone have an idea on amounts and timing for the hops?

Saw a "Milkshake IPA" recipe, which contained lactose in the boil and a Citra, vanilla bean & the zest from 2 limes as a dry hop.

Tempted to make a small batch of it, as it comes in at 7.4% (and I don't actually know if I'll like it!)

Ordered 50g of Perle & Sorachi Ace along with 100g of Galena. Just need to figure out a schedule for these and I can order plenty of fresh mint and limes through work.

Looking forward to the outcome!

Anyone have an idea on amounts and timing for the hops?

Amount: plenty
Timing: late and dry hop

You’re going to get the flavours you want from the hop oils so you don’t want to be boiling them. It’s a bit of an experiment so I can’t really offer up much by way of specific advice but as a general principal that’s how I’d go about it.

Amount: plenty
Timing: late and dry hop

You’re going to get the flavours you want from the hop oils so you don’t want to be boiling them. It’s a bit of an experiment so I can’t really offer up much by way of specific advice but as a general principal that’s how I’d go about it.

Sounds good to me, should be brewing next weekend so I’ll post the recipe.

I've not brewed one personally but I tried a 3 fruit marmalade saison recently and it was amazing. They brewed a Saison with SafAle BE-134 Saison yeast then added the juice and whole rinds of 2 limes, 2 lemons and 4 oranges for 2 days. It was unbelievably fruity so maybe not everyone's cup of tea but I loved it.

Just finished bottling now, tastes lovely already!

Maybe a 50g for the first addition of mint next time!

Ended up with 19l in the fermenter.

Recipe as follows,

3kg Golden Promise
700g Marris Otter
300g Munich

69c Mash for 60min

10g Sorachi Ace - 60min
10g Perle & 10g Galena - 10min
10g Perle, 10g Sorachi Ace, 20g Galena & 6 Limes halfed and squeezed straight into the boil - 5 mins
20g Perle, 10g Sorachi Ace, 30g Galena & 100g of fresh mint (inc stalks) - Steeped @ 80c for 30min

Piched a full pack of rehydrated S-04 and started fermentation at 18c, steadily raising to 20c by day four.

10 Limes (zest & juice)
80g of bruised mint leaves (tied together & weighted)
10g Perle, 10g Sorachi Ace & 40g Galena - all for 7 days.

OG - 1042
FG - 1004

Looking forward to a nice cold one in a couple of weeks!!

A lime and basil pale ale just won the Berlin home-brewing contest and Stone Brewing (Berlin) will be putting it into production asking with BRLO (Berlin craft brewery).
Unfortunately not tasted it myself as you could only enter by being there at the event on Saturday and I was out of the country :(
Have some plans for next year though!

Just finished bottling now, tastes lovely already!

Maybe a 50g for the first addition of mint next time!

Ended up with 19l in the fermenter.

Recipe as follows,

3kg Golden Promise
700g Marris Otter
300g Munich

69c Mash for 60min

10g Sorachi Ace - 60min
10g Perle & 10g Galena - 10min
10g Perle, 10g Sorachi Ace, 20g Galena & 6 Limes halfed and squeezed straight into the boil - 5 mins
20g Perle, 10g Sorachi Ace, 30g Galena & 100g of fresh mint (inc stalks) - Steeped @ 80c for 30min

Piched a full pack of rehydrated S-04 and started fermentation at 18c, steadily raising to 20c by day four.

10 Limes (zest & juice)
80g of bruised mint leaves (tied together & weighted)
10g Perle, 10g Sorachi Ace & 40g Galena - all for 7 days.

OG - 1042
FG - 1004

Looking forward to a nice cold one in a couple of weeks!!

Sounds great, nice one

Latest posts

Back