Liquid British Yeast Recommendations

The Homebrew Forum

Help Support The Homebrew Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

phettebs

Landlord.
Reaction score
Well, I'm now armed with Graham Wheeler's CAMRA book. The recipes look pretty straightforward but there's not mention of yeast in them. Some of the descriptions mention dry finish and a good many use the term "fruity." I've got access to a wide variety of liquid yeasts from both Wyeast and White Labs. I'm more familiar with Wyeast but not opposed to WL at all.

If I'm going to be brewing up a bunch of mid 40's OG bitters, can anyone recommend a good English yeast that I should try? I plan to harvest it from the first batch and continually reuse it. I don't have enough experience with commercial UK beers to know what exactly I'm looking for so I think it may be trial and error for awhile before I find one I really like and can stick with.

Any thoughts?

phettebs said:
Cheers Gents!

Now then, any recommendations from Wheeler's book for my first beer from there?

Several good ones, I really like the Double dragon, but prefer it from the 2nd edition rather than the new book, basically the same ingredients but hes cut down the amounts slightly.

Sarah Hughes Mild will be right up your street, Barry :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

The Marstons Pedigree recipe is a winner too, especially if you up the gravity a few points.

Use Burton ale yeast for the pedi

The burton ale yeast is also very easy to crop as it sits on top like a good un.

UP

I'll take a look at those. Sounds like the Sarah mild and Burton ale.

I can see it now..."The Wizard's Sleeve, now featuring Sarah Hughes!"

I love WLP002. I really do. You have to work with it because, in my experience, it can shoot through a batch and then needs a good rest (24 hours) after you think it's all done but, for me, it works and produces a beer with a flavour profile I like.

They say that yeast adds 60-70% of the flavour profile of your finished beer, so I recommend you experiment, have a play around - make exactly the same recipe, but try a different yeast - and see whether you like the result.

I have tried WLP5, WLP023 (I have a beer on the go at the minute with a 2L re-started WLP023 vial and this yeast has shot through the beer...it dropped 30 points in 24 hours...now, I am worried that this is because I have too many yeast cells in the 23L batch...not sure what else it could be, to be honest...but the green beer tastes good. No horrid flavours or taints...yet). Wow, that was a long parenthesis. I do like WLP023 though.

I have also used WLP007 and WLP013, with, to be honest, varying degrees of success. I probably haven't matched the right recipe with those yeasts yet. The message from me is try something, anything, if YOU don't like it, then try something else.

Edit: Can you tell I have been drinking Ringwood 49er all night?

Take care
Kind regards
Jon

Thanks again everyone. We have a long holiday weekend here in the US this weekend so I plan to pick up a sack of Maris Otter today along with yeast and some hops and give one of these a go. Looking forward to having a nice sessionable pint on tap!

So I went to a new store because they are much closer to work and they don't carry White Labs at all. So I went with Wyeast 1098 (British Ale). I've used it in the past and had no complaints. I picked up a sack of Munton's Maris Otter, some TF Dark Crystal, and some torrefied wheat. I've got plenty of Fuggle, First Gold, and Target pellets on hand so I should be able to make something out of all that! I'm going to shoot for something in the mid 40's OG and get it on tap.

Thanks to all for the advice.

Baz

Jim,
I think many of the strains produced by Wyeast and White Labs originated from the same brewery (or other) strain. So it would not surprise me if these two were very close.

I'm not sure how accurate this is but it's interesting anyway: Edit: I see at the top it was compiled by Kristen England who put it together. He knows his stuff.

http://www.brewcommune.com/tips-a-trick ... rison.html

Baz

phettebs said:
I'm not sure how accurate this is but it's interesting anyway: Edit: I see at the top it was compiled by Kristen England who put it together. He knows his stuff.

http://www.brewcommune.com/tips-a-trick ... rison.html
I have grave doubts as the the accuracy of the 'origins' of those yeast strains as well, and have witnessed many an argument between Kristin and Graham Wheeler on another forum regarding that. . . As a pairing of the two products, Whitelabs vs Wyeast, I think it is pretty good.

Latest posts

Back